[RFC|Merged] Require PHP 5.3

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Oleg

Re: [RFC] Require PHP 5.3

Post by Oleg »

We need:

1. Ticket/PR for 3.0 to add a note/warning.

2. Ticket/PR for 3.1 to add an install check/whatever other checks we already have for 5.3 and refuse to install if it is not met. Note that we have the acp environment checks PR fixed and waiting for another review pass, it would be great to review that one and test it with the 5.2 to 5.3 bump.

3. Announcement on .com, is that Nils' prerogative or can anyone make it? What is the procedure for that?

4. Events PR redone to copy paste symfony verbatim and/or vendor it.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Oleg wrote:3. Announcement on .com, is that Nils' prerogative or can anyone make it? What is the procedure for that?
Anyone can write it, I'll review it and post it to announcements forum.
Oleg wrote:4. Events PR redone to copy paste symfony verbatim and/or vendor it.
Should be a git submodule like we decided in the discussion on using 3rd party code.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

After much internal discussion, the Development Team has decided that phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" will be the last in the line of phpBB releases that will officially support PHP versions less than 5.3.0. All future feature releases (and their maintenance releases), beginning with phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus", will require PHP 5.3.0 or greater.

Following the release of phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus", phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" will remain supported for a limited period of 6-9 months (further information on this will be released as it is decided upon) -- this version will remain compatible with PHP4.

As phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" is still under development, no release date has been set. Consequently, there is still plenty of time for you to upgrade your PHP installation.

Additionally, one should note that this announcement does not imply that phpBB 3.1 will see large portions of code rewritten in order to take advantage of new features in PHP 5.3. Instead, sections of code will be updated as needed in the 3.x release cycle.
:-)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Thanks! Slightly edited:
After much discussion, the Development Team has decided that phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" will be the last in the line of phpBB releases that will officially support PHP versions less than 5.3.0. All future feature releases (and their maintenance releases), beginning with phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus", will require PHP 5.3.0 or greater.

Following the release of phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus", phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" will remain supported for a limited period of 6-9 months (further information on this will be released as it is decided upon) -- this version will remain compatible with PHP4.

As phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" is still under active development, there is still plenty of time for you to upgrade your PHP installation.

Additionally, one should note that this announcement does not imply that phpBB 3.1 will see large portions of code rewritten in order to take advantage of new features in PHP 5.3. Instead, sections of code will be updated as needed in the 3.x release cycle.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

We should add that 3.0.x already supports 5.3, and if we know what the smallest x is maybe include that as well.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Whoops, I meant to say that that is a slightly edited version of the 5.2 announcement (which is long dead).
My blog

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Maybe a link to this discussion topic?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Udated. I've also changed the requirement for to 5.3.2 which was released soon after 5.3.0 with some critical changes from the first "stable" releases. It's also the minimum symfony version which is where the event code is from. All the checked distributions provide at least 5.3.2 and there isn't any significant usage of 5.3.0/5.3.1 according to stats either.
After much discussion, the Development Team has decided that phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" will be the last in the line of phpBB releases that will officially support PHP versions less than 5.3.2. All future feature releases (and their maintenance releases), beginning with phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus", will require PHP 5.3.2 or greater.

Following the release of phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus", phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" will remain supported for a limited period of 6-9 months (further information on this will be released as it is decided upon) -- this version will remain compatible with PHP4. phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" already supports PHP 5.3.2 and above, so you should upgrade your PHP right now.

As phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" is still under active development, there is still plenty of time for you to upgrade your PHP installation.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Sounds good. I still strongly disagree with requiring 5.3, though xD
My blog

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

naderman wrote:Udated. I've also changed the requirement for to 5.3.2 which was released soon after 5.3.0 with some critical changes from the first "stable" releases. It's also the minimum symfony version which is where the event code is from. All the checked distributions provide at least 5.3.2 and there isn't any significant usage of 5.3.0/5.3.1 according to stats either.
After much discussion, the Development Team has decided that phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" will be the last in the line of phpBB releases that will officially support PHP versions less than 5.3.2. All future feature releases (and their maintenance releases), beginning with phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus", will require PHP 5.3.2 or greater.

Following the release of phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus", phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" will remain supported for a limited period of 6-9 months (further information on this will be released as it is decided upon) -- this version will remain compatible with PHP4. phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" already supports PHP 5.3.2 and above, so you should upgrade your PHP right now.

Looks fine to me.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.