At this point it just doesn't make sense to support PHP 5.2.
Just a few things that this would allow us to do:
- Use third party libraries such as Symfony2 components, Doctrine2 DBAL, Assetic to replace parts of our legacy code base
- Use Symfony2 EventDispatcher instead of copy-paste maintaining the code base (see this PR)
- All MODs can potentially benefit from the same
- We gradually add more use of PHP 5.3 features in minor releases
- Possibly get more collaboration and help to fix our dated code base
- Adopt standard PSR-0 autoloading in the future
Right now phpBB4 is not really happening. The way I see it, this move may allow us to do what drupal is doing right now. Slowly adopting third party components and making their code base maintainable.
- The use of third party libs needs to be considered on many levels, so this will have to be a separate discussion
- A large part of our user base is on PHP 5.2 hosting; the earlier we decide and announce it, the less bitching
If this RFC gets accepted, here's what should happen.
- Announce on phpBB.com and release mailing list
- Adjust the phpBB 3.0 checker to warn for non PHP 5.3 hosts
- Require PHP 5.3 in the 3.1 installer and common.php
Any other changes should have separate RFCs. And should be avoided for 3.1 unless they help implement features blocking the 3.1 release.
Basically, that's it
Tickets and Pull Requests