[RFC|Merged] Copy post text in report when reporting posts

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: [RFC]When creating a report for a post, copy the post it

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Would be irrelevant if post revisioning happens... I don't expect that to happen for 3.1, but might in some future version.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

rxu

Post by rxu »

Copying the reported post gives nothing.
If a user alters original post, you can never prove the copy you have was not altered intentionally in a way the post to violate the rules.
DavidIQ wrote:I sort of agree with UB here. Lock the post when there is a report created.
So, I'm +1 for locking reported posts and let moderator/administrator decide.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

DavidIQ wrote:I think the issue really is that after you edit the post the whole reason for the infraction is lost unless you copy the entire post into your note. "Warning for foul language" doesn't have as much weight in the event of a ban unless you actually track what it is that won the person the warning in the first place.
Post Revisioning (I believe there is a topic for this somewhere) and RFC for Comments on Reports
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

The problem with locking reported posts is that you would end up with lots of posts locked without a real need, if you (users) use the report function for other things than report a bad behaviour. For example double posting, lack of some kind of info in the post... (the original poster could be aware of this, and he/she can have in mind adding the info later, but if in the meantime someone reported the post he/she won't be able to do it).

As for proving the bad behaviour I'm not really sure that locking the topic would acomplish this, users could always argue that a general mod/admin altered it. Knowing what the user did is as far as we should go IMHO, proving it is a diferent thing. Anyway, you could always put a screenshot of the report with the original (unaltered) post. Not even an admin would be able to alter the copied post in the report, right?

Greetings.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

In that case, maybe having a(nother) config option in the ACP might be the way to solve that?
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Unknown Bliss wrote:In that case, maybe having a(nother) config option in the ACP might be the way to solve that?
You mean a ACP config option about locking (or not) the post when it is reported?

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

brunoais wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:In that case, maybe having a(nother) config option in the ACP might be the way to solve that?
You mean a ACP config option about locking (or not) the post when it is reported?
Yes

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
brunoais wrote:
Yes
Well... some1 could make an RFC about that. Anyway, there's already a mod made for that same thing.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

brunoais wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:
brunoais wrote:
Yes
Well... some1 could make an RFC about that. Anyway, there's already a mod made for that same thing.
Why would it be a separate RFC? Thats what this RFC is about... And I was making a suggestion for the front-end implementation of it.

Seeing as the general consensus (so far) in the topic seems to be to lock posts, you pointed out when locking the post isn't a good idea and I made an additional suggestion on how that could be fixed. Thats what RFC's are for.

The reason I think it could be better in the core (and not as a MOD) is because I think its useful for the majority of board users, not a minority. But the configurable option would give board admin a choice if they are, for example, a support board to disable this behaviour without code edits. The only cons against a config option is the fact we are adding another config option and the fact that it would now require changes to the database (adding a config record) and a query on the page.