[RFC|Merged] Last topic title in forum list

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC|Merged] Last topic title in forum list

Post by DavidIQ »

No.

KnocksX

Post by KnocksX »

Tried that code. It's not intuitive to users because the last post is text instead of a link. Any way to get this version working before 3.1?

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

If you want a phpBB 3.0 MOD, you should probably ask on the Support board. If you want a core change made to phpBB 3.0, you could try the 3.x RFC forum, but good luck -- phpBB 3.0 is feature frozen.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

KnocksX wrote:Guys, is there a quick hack I can use to integrate this into a live forum while the final code is being straightened out?
Find this line in includes/functions_display.php:

Code: Select all

'LAST_POST_SUBJECT'      => censor_text($last_post_subject),
Directly under it, add this line:

'LAST_POST_DDSUBJECT'      => (utf8_strlen(censor_text($last_post_subject)) > 24) ? utf8_substr(censor_text($last_post_subject), 0, 24) . '...' : censor_text($last_post_subject),
Now find this line in forumlist_body.html:

<!-- IF forumrow.LAST_POST_TIME --><dfn>{L_LAST_POST}</dfn> {L_POST_BY_AUTHOR} {forumrow.LAST_POSTER_FULL}
Replace it with:

<!-- IF forumrow.LAST_POST_TIME --><strong><a href="{forumrow.U_LAST_POST}" title="{forumrow.LAST_POST_SUBJECT}">{forumrow.LAST_POST_DDSUBJECT}</a></strong><br /><dfn>{L_LAST_POST}</dfn> {L_POST_BY_AUTHOR} {forumrow.LAST_POSTER_FULL}

KnocksX

Post by KnocksX »

Thanks!

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

That's basically the same thing as the KB article, just with the added strong and a href tags. :?

DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

My modification also adds a tooltip to display the full topic title on hover, which is how this board works. That feature is not in the KB, and it's why a line is being added in includes/functions_display.php as opposed to being replaced.

I also increased the cutoff length to a more usable 24 characters. This board uses 29 characters, which is fine if there are few capitalized letters in the title, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

KnocksX

Post by KnocksX »

DionDesigns wrote: I also increased the cutoff length to a more usable 24 characters. This board uses 29 characters, which is fine if there are few capitalized letters in the title, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Which is another reason why "Re: " should not be used as it adds 4 extra characters.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

for 3.0 there is a mod called NV advanced last topic titles which has several config vars for this. You could use that as long as you have 3.0
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

DionDesigns

[RFC|Merged] Last topic title in forum list

Post by DionDesigns »

KnocksX wrote:Which is another reason why "Re: " should not be used as it adds 4 extra characters.
Well, then get rid of it! ;) Find this code in includes/functions_display.php:

$last_post_subject = $row['forum_last_post_subject'];
			$last_post_time = $user->format_date($row['forum_last_post_time']);
			$last_post_url = append_sid("{$phpbb_root_path}viewtopic.$phpEx", 'f=' . $row['forum_id_last_post'] . '&p=' . $row['forum_last_post_id']) . '#p' . $row['forum_last_post_id'];
Replace it with this:

if (utf8_substr($row['forum_last_post_subject'], 0, 4) == 'Re: ')
			{
				$last_post_subject = utf8_substr($row['forum_last_post_subject'], 4);
			}
			else
			{
				$last_post_subject = $row['forum_last_post_subject'];
			}
			$last_post_time = $user->format_date($row['forum_last_post_time']);
			$last_post_url = append_sid("{$phpbb_root_path}viewtopic.$phpEx", 'f=' . $row['forum_id_last_post'] . '&p=' . $row['forum_last_post_id']) . '#p' . $row['forum_last_post_id'];
And the "Re: " will be removed from the last post title. On my own boards, I remove the code in posting.php that adds it in the first place. IMO it is an archaic term that adds nothing...well, nothing other than four characters in the title that could be put to better use. (Actually I'd like to see the subject removed entirely from replies, and have all replies inherit the topic title.)