[RFC|Merged] Extensions

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Re: [RFC|Merged] Extensions

Post by Nicofuma »

I had a doubt so i tested it:
We are looking for the events in all of the inheritance tree. So if the extension adds a template event listener for prosilver, all styles which are inherited from prosilver will include this listener.
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

If it's placed in
all/ -> applies to every single style installed
prosilver/ -> applies to prosilver and any style which inherits from it
subsilver2/ -> applies to subsilver2 and any style which inherits from it
foobar/ -> applies to foobar and any style which inherits from it
barfoo/ -> applies to barfoo and any style which inherits from it

The most specific file is chosen, so if you have:
all/test.html
prosilver/test.html
foobar/test.html

With foobar inheriting from prosilver,

If the user uses prosilver, prosilver/test.html will be used; if the user uses foobar, foobar/test.html will be used; if the user uses subsilver, all/test.html will be used.

Meis2M Online

Post by Meis2M »

thanks... now it is perfect.

M.Gaetan89

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

So, if we only have prosilver/test.html and subsilver2/test.html, and the user uses foobar, nothing will happen, until someone create the correct folder for the style foobar?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

M.Gaetan89 wrote:So, if we only have prosilver/test.html and subsilver2/test.html, and the user uses foobar, nothing will happen, until someone create the correct folder for the style foobar?
If foobar does not inherit from either prosilver or subsilver2 in your example and there is no all/test.html then nothing should happen.

M.Gaetan89

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

Ok, thank you for the clarification :-)

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

DavidIQ wrote:
Meis2M wrote:so it means we don't need rename any folder?
One does not rename folders right now with MODs so not sure when/why you would do that with Extensions. :?:
Actually we do...

Currently, if I'm installing a mod and it has styles/prosilver/template/modfolder (and/or styles/prosilver/theme/modfolder). Then I have to (copy then) rename the prosilver folder to the name of the style that I'm using to ensure that the mod's style functions correctly on my board.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Ideally you should think of the style folders like this when writing an extension:
  • prosilver: this is for style files based on prosilver and will apply to prosilver and any prosilver based style.
  • subsilver2: this is for style files based on subsilver2 and will apply to subsilver2 and any subsilver2 inherited style.
  • all: This is for style files that would otherwise be duplicated if you were to supply them to prosilver and subsilver2. These would also be files that can be used in any style, in which it would not matter if the style was prosilver, subsilver2, or foobar.
Has an irascible disposition.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Must say, I was a little worried about the new extensions, but upon trying a few on an RC2 test board...Very happy with them. Seamless integration! Great work guys.

leschek

Post by leschek »

I would like to ask if there is reason why "Extension management" is not on the top of "Customise" tab in ACP? While I'm not 100% sure I think users use it more often than "Style management".

Another thing is about translating of extensions. It seems that there in "Extension management" is a few untranslated information as "Extension name", "Description" and "Role" (in "Author Information"). I think it would be great (for users not for translators) if extensions authors put this information into language files.
I translated a few extensions (board announcements and board rules) and in language files I translated the name of extensions so it appears in my language on "Extensions" tab, but in English in "Style management". I think it would be more user friendly if at least "Extension name" is translated everywhere or, if there is some reason why it has to be in English, to make some kind of (translated) mouseover title for extension names.