[RFC] Migrations

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Ger

Re: [RFC] Migrations

Post by Ger »

Sounds good. IIRC, migrations are the last obstacle for 3.1 ALPHA?
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Correct, once they are merged we plan on having a couple of weeks to get other items merged for 3.1 yet, then release an alpha.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I believe the core migrations system is now finished.
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/1180

There is some work to do on the migrations data (replaces database_update.php with a migrations update script):
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/1183

There is also a little work to make it easier for extensions to run migrations.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Do migrations touch 3.0.x? Does 3.0.x database updater have to be changed to migrations?

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Migrations don't apply to 3.0.

The only thing that needs to be done for 3.0 is the migrations table needs to be created and populated with the appropriate migration identifiers (in install and database update).
http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-11317

This is to make upgrades between 3.0 and 3.1 clean and easy.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Why does it matter if it's in 3.0 or not? Wouldn't the update script just create it on its own?

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

It's a complicated situation.

We need to know what migrations are effectively installed already when updating from 3.0 to 3.1.

We could mostly do this by comparing the phpBB version, but there could be a problem. Here are a few scenarios:

3.0.12 is released
3.1.0 is released

User updates from 3.0.12 (or any version prior):
3.0.12 is known by 3.1.0 migrations and therefor we can map what migrations have been effectively installed already.

3.1.0 is released
3.0.12 is released

User updates from 3.0.12:
3.0.12 is not known by 3.1.0 migrations and therefor we have no idea what migrations have effectively been installed.

In the second case, if 3.0.12 added the migrations table and the migration identifiers that have been effectively installed, we can update without any problems (assuming the schema hasn't changed in a way in 3.0.12 that the older 3.1.0 code throws errors).

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

EXreaction wrote:...3.1.0 is released
3.0.12 is released

User updates from 3.0.12:
3.0.12 is not known by 3.1.0 migrations and therefor we have no idea what migrations have effectively been installed.

In the second case, if 3.0.12 added the migrations table and the migration identifiers that have been effectively installed, we can update without any problems (assuming the schema hasn't changed in a way in 3.0.12 that the older 3.1.0 code throws errors).
So maybe there should be a condition set for all 3.0.x releases released after 3.1, that migration must be merged to 3.1 prior to relasing that 3.0.x version and new 3.1 version should be released along with new 3.0.x version. Maybe it breaks current versioning principles, it is just an idea...

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

How do you plan to address the problem that is updating from 3.0.x (where x < 12) to 3.1.x that the migrations table would still need adding with the appropriate migrations depending on which version the update is being done from?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Senky wrote:So maybe there should be a condition set for all 3.0.x releases released after 3.1, that migration must be merged to 3.1 prior to relasing that 3.0.x version and new 3.1 version should be released along with new 3.0.x version. Maybe it breaks current versioning principles, it is just an idea...
That is one option I had in mind, but I am not sure if that is something we want to be restricted by.
MichaelC wrote:How do you plan to address the problem that is updating from 3.0.x (where x < 12) to 3.1.x that the migrations table would still need adding with the appropriate migrations depending on which version the update is being done from?
I have a list of phpBB version numbers and the migrations that were applied for those versions. If the migrations table does not exist I automatically fill it with these migrations based on what phpBB version it was.

Right now I am thinking the safest option might be to add a method to each migration, is_installed, which would be able to run custom code to check if the migration was effectively installed (in which case we'd just add the migration data to the migration table and be done). I think this might be best for us and extension authors who update their mods for 3.1.