[RFC] Migrations

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: [RFC] Migrations

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:What happens when an extension logs data to a log using a language variable, then the extension is disabled. Will it remove the log entries (I'm guessing not). So there needs to be a way to be able to add instructions that are specific to un-installing (allowing it to remove any data it has added to other tables it did not add).
When it's disabled, no it shouldn't remove the log entries. And for that, I think we could keep it looking through the extension's language directory, perhaps. But when an extension is purged, it should remove related log entries (although really that's up to the extension author to implement, I think?).
Maybe if a language file called always_include.php existed it would always be included, whether the extension was enabled or disabled? The purge would remove language entries but yes, thats why I suggested allowing uninstall instructions which will only run when its un-installing, not installing.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

In the specific case of logs I think it is acceptable to leave unsubstituted language strings in log entries. Admins should understand what happened there, if they are bothered by that they can clear the logs. Until someone complains about this I wouldn't worry too much about it.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I think there should be a checkbox that allows filtering the kind of messages the user wants. This way the admin can see only what he wants without the extra stuff he might not be interested at that moment.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

brunoais wrote:I think there should be a checkbox that allows filtering the kind of messages the user wants. This way the admin can see only what he wants without the extra stuff he might not be interested at that moment.
How are PMs to do with Migrations? :?
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

^ I was answering to Oleg

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I agree with Oleg, logs should just remain, and language isn't really a concern. Clear the logs if you don't want to see the bare strings, otherwise ignore them.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

What would be the install file for extensions? Would it be something similar to the UMIF files in olympus or would it be an .sql file?

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Needs to be something that is cross-database friendly (so not raw SQL)
A_Jelly_Doughnut

igorw

Post by igorw »

Similar to UMIL/db_tools.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Migrations probably should use db_tools, and if anything is in umil and not in db_tools it should be added to db_tools.