[RFC|Merged] AJAX

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Oleg

Re: [RFC] AJAX

Post by Oleg »

callumacrae wrote: propose to make quite a lot of these operations use AJAX.
Please make sure the ajax operations are actually more usable than the non-ajax operations...

(An example of something unusable would be lightboxes/image galleries where the user can only return to the page by *mouse clicking* a tiny X in an arbitrary location on the page.)

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

How about CAPTCHA configuration? It's a pain to use, how it is at the moment.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Oleg wrote:(An example of something unusable would be lightboxes/image galleries where the user can only return to the page by *mouse clicking* a tiny X in an arbitrary location on the page.)
That has always annoyed me when sites did that... I should be able to exit just by clicking anywhere off of the image or by pressing Esc.
/a3 wrote:I'd just like to say that there, of course, must be a non-JavaScript alternative!
Even though the number of people who browse without javascript enabled is generally low, I have to agree that this should be done in all cases, no matter how much of a pain it will be to have to test everything twice any time a change is made (once with and once without js enabled). Smartphones and other mobile browsers sometimes have trouble with some javascript functions, and also many people use things like the NoScript addon in Firefox that disables js by default.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

No actual features are being added, it's just adding stuff to existing features, so it will work with js disabled as it always did.

Could someone move this to 3.1? I've completed pretty much everything on the original list, so will definitely be done in time.

~Callum
My blog

igorw

Post by igorw »

Any objections to moving it to 3.1? Nils, Oleg?

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

I would prefer to move 3.2 rfcs to 3.1 when the respective patches get merged. Is there a benefit to having these rfcs in 3.1 earlier that I'm overlooking?

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

It would suggest that we intend to merge them if they are finished in time. I'd keep it as [RFC] as opposed to [RFC|Accepted] indicating, that it'll be moved to 3.2 if not finished in time.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

I suppose we can do that, certainly some of the 3.1 rfcs have no code at all which makes them worse off than rfcs with partial implementations.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Should subsilver2 use the AJAX features? I vote no, but that might just be because I'm lazy.

~Callum
My blog

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

One of the reasons people brought up for using subsilver was because they considered it "lighter" than prosilver.

With eye to that argument I would say don't add ajax to subsilver until someone requests it, and if you do make very sure it impacts performance including perceived performance as little as possible.