[RFC|Merged] Inclusion of jQuery

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
igorw

[RFC|Merged] Inclusion of jQuery

Post by igorw »

Based on the 3.2 RFC for jQuery and after some discussion with Josh, I'd like to take a slightly different approach with jQuery.

After I started translating parts of the existing code base to jQuery, it quickly became a very tiring task. And while it's nice to have everything be nice and clean, doing this in one huge step is not really feasible. And in fact, quite a bad idea.

I would like to officially target 3.1 for jQuery. Without necessarily translating all of the existing code base to use it. We can translate specific parts over on demand. And also do this in small chunks.

Why is doing this a good idea:
  • we can use jQuery for new user interface things in the future
  • we may get contributions from frontend- and ux people
  • mods can use it (without stepping on each others' toes)
  • styles can use it
Impact on release cycle / security:

A security issue in jQuery results in a PL (patch-level) release of phpBB. We update to the latest 1.6.x release whenever a new version of phpBB comes out. phpBB 3.1 is tied to jQuery 1.6.

Patch: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/173
Ticket: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10155

Oleg

Re: [RFC] Inclusion of jQuery

Post by Oleg »

I would like to see an "official" definition of what an asset is added somewhere.

Also, plural for assets and singular for javascript?

We need an update policy for jquery. The version we ship should be documented (i.e., not "RTFS" in jquery.js). Does 3.1 stay with 1.5? What if 1.5 is end of lifed or stops being security supported before 3.1 is?

How long does jquery security support their major/minor releases for?

igorw

Post by igorw »

Oleg wrote:I would like to see an "official" definition of what an asset is added somewhere.
Generally speaking, an asset is a static resource, such as an image, javascript or css file. Since phpBB does not use this term so far, we could just use it for 'global' static resources.

global static resources == assets

Does that definition make any sense?
Oleg wrote:Also, plural for assets and singular for javascript?
Well, we have a lot of plural at the root level (docs, files, images, includes, styles). Under styles/prosilver we have singular: imageset, template, theme. So it kind of makes sense.
Oleg wrote:We need an update policy for jquery.
The first post already contains some information about that.
Oleg wrote:What if 1.5 is end of lifed or stops being security supported before 3.1 is?
In that case we should upgrade imo. I am also suggesting we go with 1.6.
Oleg wrote:How long does jquery security support their major/minor releases for?
I wasn't able to find any information about that. Either way, there haven't been any too serious BC breaks during the last year. So upgrading to a new 1.x should be pretty straight-forward.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

igorw wrote: global static resources == assets
Ok.
igorw wrote: Well, we have a lot of plural at the root level (docs, files, images, includes, styles). Under styles/prosilver we have singular: imageset, template, theme. So it kind of makes sense.
Ok.
igorw wrote: In that case we should upgrade imo. I am also suggesting we go with 1.6.
If so why does the patch include 1.5?
igorw wrote: I wasn't able to find any information about that. Either way, there haven't been any too serious BC breaks during the last year. So upgrading to a new 1.x should be pretty straight-forward.
My point is that this choice (and not using jquery I don't currently have any objections to just about any justified proposal) needs to be documented so that both we developers and users know what we ship and will be shipping.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

very good idea.
is it possible change feature of 3.1?
Last edited by Meis2M on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

igorw

Post by igorw »

Oleg wrote:If so why does the patch include 1.5?
Whoops, will fix.

Ok, judging from the wikipedia release history there is only one development line. So when 1.7 is released, there are likely no more updates to 1.6. For this reason I think we should always ship the latest version available whenever we release a new version of phpBB.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Will that include maintenance versions?

igorw

Post by igorw »

Yes. jQuery releases are something between a month and a year apart. It's probably best to stay up-to-date.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

+1

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

+1 for including,
but I'd say don't make big use of it in 3.1, new ideas and patches should go into 3.2
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM