[RFC|Merged] Remove prosilver styleswitcher

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
igorw

Re: [RFC] Remove prosilver styleswitcher

Post by igorw »

/a3

Post by /a3 »

nickvergessen wrote:
/a3 wrote:Will proSilver use relative font sizes instead of pixels by default? Currently, everything is relative to 10px, so the only way to "resize" fonts is through the styleswitcher or using zoom.
The 10px is only for setting the default, so all browsers display the same size. Apart from that prosilver only uses relative.
I know, but Igor said that "adjusting font sizes can be done by the browser". This is not true if the default font-size set by phpBB is 10px.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Try it, it works.

/a3

Post by /a3 »

I already have. My default font-size for my browser is 17px (I use SeaMonkey). I changed it to smaller and bigger font sizes and it didn't change it at all. I got the same behaviour for Firefox and Internet Explorer (for IE, use View > Text Size > [select a text size]) and it doesn't change anything. This is because by default, changing the font-size in your browser changes the html font-size in CSS.

Really, changing your browser's font-size basically does this to each page's style:

Code: Select all

html {
  font-size: 16px   /* or whatever your browser's default font-size is */
}
When you give body a font-size of 10px, it overrides this. If you didn't give body a font-size, or made it relative, it would respect the user's default font-size. This is better for blind users.

You might be thinking of page zoom (CTRL+ in most browsers) which zooms everything in. This is not really the same thing. The major downside of using Page Zoom is that it blurs all bitmap images.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

hmm indeed, I thought there used to be a sort of percentage/em trick to get the font size to 10px by default, but it seems to be gone now.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

/a3 wrote:I already have. My default font-size for my browser is 17px (I use SeaMonkey). I changed it to smaller and bigger font sizes and it didn't change it at all. I got the same behaviour for Firefox and Internet Explorer (for IE, use View > Text Size > [select a text size]) and it doesn't change anything. This is because by default, changing the font-size in your browser changes the html font-size in CSS.

Really, changing your browser's font-size basically does this to each page's style:

Code: Select all

html {
  font-size: 16px   /* or whatever your browser's default font-size is */
}
When you give body a font-size of 10px, it overrides this. If you didn't give body a font-size, or made it relative, it would respect the user's default font-size. This is better for blind users.

You might be thinking of page zoom (CTRL+ in most browsers) which zooms everything in. This is not really the same thing. The major downside of using Page Zoom is that it blurs all bitmap images.
why do we care if pixels get blurry if we are blind! sorry just found that funny, and i would argue that this is another reason not to use images for theme when we do not have to. also there is an option in firefox at least to set page zoom to only zoom text.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

hanakin wrote:why do we care if pixels get blurry if we are blind! sorry just found that funny, and i would argue that this is another reason not to use images for theme when we do not have to. also there is an option in firefox at least to set page zoom to only zoom text.
Because being legally blind does not necessarily mean you can't see anything. Those that are barely able to see will find it hard to make out blurry images, especially if they have text in them.

/a3

Post by /a3 »

Not only for blind users. It's also useful for screens with large resolutions, screen projectors, etc.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

Pony99CA

Re: [RFC|Merged] Remove prosilver styleswitcher

Post by Pony99CA »

David said that I should revive this topic. It seems like the change was merged but there are good arguments to restore the resizer. I tried using IE 8's Text Size option and that was completely ignored.

I can use Zoom, of course, but there's a big difference between Zoom and just resizing the text. Specifically, Zoom resizes everything (and text doesn't reflow), while font resizing should only affect text (and it should reflow properly). What good is making the text bigger if you then have to scroll left/right to read each line?

Please restore the resizer (or "style switcher" which doesn't really switch the whole style :)).

Alternatively, don't specify font sizes in pixels. You should use ems or percentages (I believe; oops, changed points to ems) to allow the browser's text sizing to work.

Thanks,

Steve
Last edited by Pony99CA on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC|Merged] Remove prosilver styleswitcher

Post by nickvergessen »

We won't restore it
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM