[RFC] Contact Page

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC] Contact Page

Post by DavidIQ »

I'll quote myself regarding this very issue:
DavidIQ wrote:I get some spam through the one I have on my site but it is actually pretty rare and is mostly just SEO junk. The "CAPTCHA" I have is just an old logo I used to have on my site. I don't think spammers are very interested in spamming just one person. That would be useless to them and to their purpose in life.
I think if we displayed the basic image CAPTCHA it would be fine or maybe not even display a CAPTCHA at all. On phpbb.com we have a form for suggesting sites and we receive spam once maybe twice a week and sometimes every other week. It's not that big of an issue...besides it's the administrator receiving the message anyways though we could also give the option of posting the contact request to a selected forum.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I would be against the use of a CAPTCHA on the contact form, but I am also against a completely open contact form.

Another approach would be to fill the form action using JavaScript. It would need to be pretty clever so that spammers couldn't just regex the page to find the URL, so I'm not sure how that would work.

To the JS haters: I'm very happy to cut out 0.02% of the market share (number from a previous thread) in order to stop a potentially rather large amount of spam.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Bots can render javascript anyways...

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

It slows them down enormously (plus the majority of them do not, yet).
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Besides allowing users to contact the admin, I would strongly suggest ensuring that this page could be used for the German Imprint page and the COPPA contact information.

And, given the cookie notice RFC, I would also suggest putting these settings (and possibly the board's copyright notice) on a new "Legal Settings" page.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Please don't mix RFCs, thanks. Contact page is for contacting administrators.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Oleg wrote:Please don't mix RFCs, thanks. Contact page is for contacting administrators.
The German Imprint law is basically contact information, too. Given that many board administrators are also the "official" contact for the board, I felt they were somewhat related (or else I wouldn't have posted here). Besides, the topic is called "Contact Page", not "Contact Administrator Page". ;)

However, I'm in the process of writing a Legal Settings Page RFC, so I'll edit this with a link when it's done. (UPDATE: It's done.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

naderman wrote:The whole point of the contact page form is to no longer display the email address, but only offer a form instead. [...] Having this form unprotected is no worse than the current situation where the email address is publically visible on the registration page.
There is the following difference: The mail server sending the mail to the board administrator is different. This may or may not have an effect on spam handling.
Pony99CA wrote:Besides allowing users to contact the admin, I would strongly suggest ensuring that this page could be used for the German Imprint page and the COPPA contact information.

And, given the cookie notice RFC, I would also suggest putting these settings (and possibly the board's copyright notice) on a new "Legal Settings" page.

Steve
Oleg wrote:Please don't mix RFCs, thanks. Contact page is for contacting administrators.
At least the ticket description covers that too: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10073

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Why cant you just integrate RMcGirr's Contact board administrators mod? I have been using it on my board and it works perfect. It might just need to be updated for 3.1 maybe.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... istration/

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Alien_Time wrote:Why cant you just integrate RMcGirr's Contact board administrators mod? I have been using it on my board and it works perfect. It might just need to be updated for 3.1 maybe.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... istration/

Like you I've been using this mod for a while and it's great!