[RFC] Contact Page

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Post Reply
User avatar
M.Gaetan89
Registered User
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:17 pm
Location: Divonne-les-Bains, France
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Contact Page

Post by M.Gaetan89 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:46 pm

@Louis7777, yes 3 and 4 ;)

User avatar
Ger
Registered User
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:55 pm
Location: 192.168.1.100
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Contact Page

Post by Ger » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Nice work and totally agree with Marshalrusty about the current form and extensions.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

User avatar
Louis7777
Registered User
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:32 am

Contact Page - a couple of changes?

Post by Louis7777 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:26 pm

  1. When viewing the contact page as a guest, "Your email address" field should be below the "Your name" field, as that's how it usually is.
  2. It'd be better if we could only resize the message box vertically or at least give it a proportional max-width.

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Contact Page - a couple of changes?

Post by keith10456 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Louis7777 wrote:
  1. When viewing the contact page as a guest, "Your email address" field should be below the "Your name" field, as that's how it usually is.
I see your point but an argument could be made that the email address is actually more important than the name. I'm fine with it either way.

However, is there an option in the ACP to enable captcha?

User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: Contact Page - a couple of changes?

Post by Pony99CA » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:46 am

keith10456 wrote:However, is there an option in the ACP to enable captcha?
That's a good idea, but forget the option -- just always have CAPTCHA enabled for guests (if you're logged in, don't display the CAPTCHA unless, maybe, you're in the Newly Registered Users group).

However, the Contact page should indicate which fields are required. I presume that the E-mail address and name fields are required, but I don't know.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Contact Page - a couple of changes?

Post by keith10456 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:19 am

Pony99CA wrote:
keith10456 wrote:However, is there an option in the ACP to enable captcha?
That's a good idea, but forget the option -- just always have CAPTCHA enabled for guests (if you're logged in, don't display the CAPTCHA unless, maybe, you're in the Newly Registered Users group).

However, the Contact page should indicate which fields are required. I presume that the E-mail address and name fields are required, but I don't know.

Steve
Correct - no CAPTCHA if logged-in... But it should be there for guests.

User avatar
paulus Online
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:02 am
Contact:

Re: Contact Page - a couple of changes?

Post by paulus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:36 am

Image

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Contact Page

Post by keith10456 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:30 pm

nickvergessen wrote:
Meis2M wrote:Now I can see Contact page here in area51. It seems it's merged thanks. This system use captcha?
No, the page is linked on registration if the user is unable to solve the captcha.
@ Nick - I don't understand what you mean :|

I clicked the "Contact Us" page as a guest (as if I wanted to contact the website) and I was taken to the Form (it didn't have captcha). What does that have to do with registration?

Unless you're stating that the Contact Us page is only there when someone can't figure out the captcha during registration... But I don't think that's the case (Nor do I believe that's your reasoning).

User avatar
M.Gaetan89
Registered User
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:17 pm
Location: Divonne-les-Bains, France
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Contact Page

Post by M.Gaetan89 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:55 pm

I think (but didn't check) that, on the registration page, you have a link to the contact page if you can not read/answer the captcha. So puting a captcha on the contact page might be a non-sense (in this case at least).

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Contact Page

Post by keith10456 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:39 pm

M.Gaetan89 wrote:I think (but didn't check) that, on the registration page, you have a link to the contact page if you can not read/answer the captcha. So puting a captcha on the contact page might be a non-sense (in this case at least).
I get that but we need captcha to help fight off spam. Quite a conundrum :?

Post Reply