[RFC] New plugin installation system

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
BullsNet

[RFC] New plugin installation system

Post by BullsNet »

Hello,

This system of installation is so slow and very tedious.

phpBB is looking to advance into the next decade, not keep the same features that are making it lag behind the other main forums.

myBB, your main free competitor, even has a very EASY AND FAST plugin system which requires none to a little bit of editing files. Unlike, phpBB which still is lagging behind and takes many many editsand takes a long time to search and find the code.

This is why phpBB is losing beginners because they are giving up on the forum because to install a simple "who was online today plugin" it takes about 10-15 minutes for a beginner, unlike myBB, vBulletin which take approximately 2 seconds[Not even kidding].

This is why users are switching out of phpBB into myBB and vBulletin. :cry:

Let's push phpBB into the next decade. ;)
Last edited by imkingdavid on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change from all uppercase to sentence case

igorw

Re: [RFC] NEW PLUGIN INSTALLATION SYSTEM

Post by igorw »

Easy on the caps, my friend.

We actually already have a hook system in the pipeline for 3.1. RFC, related blog post, Hook Location Requests Forum.

Hopefully we can make MOD installation a painless experience. :)

BullsNet

Post by BullsNet »

Do you know what plugin installation system myBB, IPB, and vBulletin runs?

That's the system phpBB3 should run and that's how they will be sucessful.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

i think we can see a automod system in 3.1 :D

BullsNet

Post by BullsNet »

Oh no! I hate that buggy system, let's have a similar one to vB and myBB!

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

You keep saying that but what's so special about their system that you keep advertising it? vB is not free so I can't just go download it and see. From the looks of it, MyBB is doing a similar thing to what we are planning for 3.1 and 3.2 where the user would upload a sort of plugin that uses hooks in their system. As noted on their site, they still have modifications that would be a manual process and require file edits so I'm not sure how that's better than using an auto-installation system + a plugin system.

BullsNet

Post by BullsNet »

Yes, that is what I would like.

It's very simple in myBB:
A) Download the plugin
B) Upload the plugin xml or something
C) Done, if no MINOR(takes 1 minute even for a beginner) edits.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

BullsNet wrote:C) Done, if no MINOR(takes 1 minute even for a beginner) edits.
Well we're trying to eliminate the need to do such things alltogether :P (even though, realistically, someone will probably need to edit the core files at some point)

BullsNet

Post by BullsNet »

DavidIQ wrote:
BullsNet wrote:C) Done, if no MINOR(takes 1 minute even for a beginner) edits.
Well we're trying to eliminate the need to do such things alltogether :P (even though, realistically, someone will probably need to edit the core files at some point)
Well, yes for the major plugins of course, but I am saying for 98% of the plugins you should not be editing files and just uploading the plugin to the forum and the forum takes care of the rest and all you have to do is press a button to install and activate and in adminCP and in adminCP you can change the settings around of it.

BullsNet

Post by BullsNet »

DavidIQ wrote:You keep saying that but what's so special about their system that you keep advertising it? vB is not free so I can't just go download it and see. From the looks of it, MyBB is doing a similar thing to what we are planning for 3.1 and 3.2 where the user would upload a sort of plugin that uses hooks in their system. As noted on their site, they still have modifications that would be a manual process and require file edits so I'm not sure how that's better than using an auto-installation system + a plugin system.
Yes, you can. You can request a demo at their website and because of phpBB's lack of urgency to fix internal problems, many are switching over to paid software or myBB. Instead of these mod system, it should be a plugin system where:

1 - user downloads it from mod site
2 - uploads files to specific folders
3 - uploads the specific .xml file in admincp
4 - done and active plugin