[RFC|Merged] Attachments management

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
rxu

[RFC|Merged] Attachments management

Post by rxu »

Currently we have only orphaned attachments management implemented.
Meanwhile there's an often case with the boards having hundreds/thousands of attachments which need to be controlled more effectively.
The idea is based on currently implemented feature as a MOD for phpBB 3.0.x named Manage attachments ACP module for phpBB3.
Generally based on orphan attachments management option, it allows to:
  • List all files being attached to posts/PMs;
  • Split attachments list into pages;
  • Display main file information like: real filename, posting time, size, author, download/view count, topic link and name the file belongs to (or PM attachment notice), post's ID the file is attached to;
  • Download attachment directly via files list;
  • Sort attachments by name/date/size/extension/downloads count/post ID/author name in both directions;
  • Filter attachments' list by time displaying entries from previous 1/7/14 day(s) or 1/6/12 month(s).
  • Reassign attachments to another posts specifying valid posts' IDs;
  • Delete attachments.
Ticket: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-9721

naderman
Consultant

Re: [RFC] Attachments management

Post by naderman »

Sounds quite interesting and useful. One question though:
rxu wrote:
  • Reassign attachments to another posts specifying valid posts' IDs;
What is that useful for? I'm also concerned since post IDs should not be exposed to users in my eyes.

rxu

Post by rxu »

naderman wrote:What is that useful for? I'm also concerned since post IDs should not be exposed to users in my eyes.
This option could be used to restructure attachments between posts if needed. For example, if you want to delete a bunch of posts but keep attachments, etc.
Regarding posts Ids: didn't absolutely get a question :) The feature means that administrator enter ID of a post within ACP module to attach a file to it. ID of any readable post is available for anybody, I guess.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

rxu wrote:Regarding posts Ids: didn't absolutely get a question :) The feature means that administrator enter ID of a post within ACP module to attach a file to it. ID of any readable post is available for anybody, I guess.
What I mean is that users should not need to know or understand what a "post id" is. They should be able to select posts by looking at them and deciding it is the right post. Post ids are visible to anyone through the URL, but we don't really want all admins to have to understand what these are and how they work.

FeyFre

Post by FeyFre »

OFFTOP:
naderman wrote:but we don't really want all admins to have to understand what these are and how they work.
Admins should not be programmers to manage forum, I agreed, but they must understood structure of software they manage.(Drivers should not be engineers to drive car, but they should understand how vehicle works, and driving license exam includes such tests.)

rxu

Post by rxu »

naderman wrote:What I mean is that users should not need to know or understand what a "post id" is. They should be able to select posts by looking at them and deciding it is the right post.
Ah, I got your point, but won't it be redundant to implement posts selection for such a (simple) feature? It looks like we'll have to open a full board window copy to allow to select some post through all the the forums/topics to attach a file to.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

I think it should be consistent with how some MCP functions work.

rxu

Post by rxu »

That's the point, we'll have to change orphan attachments management in the same way then.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Well ideally there is some reusable code for that, like there is for finding users ;-)

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

We'll go without the reattaching feature for 3.1.