[RFC|Merged] Enhanced Team Page

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
EXreaction

[RFC|Merged] Enhanced Team Page

Post by EXreaction »

RFC-First post by nickvergessen:
Ideas in short version:
  • View groups on teampage (also without m_ or a_ permissions)
  • Custom sort groups on the teampage (and also in group legend)
  • View users in multiple groups not only their first one
  • Make "display-forums" optional (as it's database intensive)
Ticket: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-9549
Pull-Request: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/59

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post:

The team page has a number of problems...

1. It lists moderators as being on the team (sometimes private groups have moderation permissions in private forums and they are not on the team)
2. It only lists people who are administrators or moderators (sometimes people on the team do not have administrative or moderation privileges)

So I've looked a what it would take to change that to not automatically list moderators as members on the team and give the option to specify groups as team members.

The edit for a simple test of it is actually quite simple.
First you need a new column in the groups table named group_list_team (boolean value)

As tortoisemerge seems to be full of fail I can't create a diff, but it's only one edit for a quick test:

memberlist.php

find:

Code: Select all

'WHERE'		=> $db->sql_in_set('u.user_id', array_unique(array_merge($admin_id_ary, $mod_id_ary)), false, true) . '
replace with:

Code: Select all

'WHERE'		=> '(' . $db->sql_in_set('u.user_id', $admin_id_ary, false, true) . ' OR g.group_list_team = 1)
This should essentially work the same as The team page does now, giving the exact same info, except not automatically list moderators and list those marked as group_list_team.

I don't have access to a board with team members other than administrators however, so I haven't been able to perform a full test.

If this looks good I can go ahead and finish the rest of it up. Some language keys need to be changed, a few other minor issues, and then the option to mark groups as group_list_team in the group management page.
Last edited by Oleg on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added actual RFC-Information

naderman
Consultant

Re: The team page

Post by naderman »

I think this makes a lot more sense than the current solution and should als peform a lot better. We've had problems with query performance on the team page quite a few times. If you could create a ticket on the tracker and submit an actual patch (for adding the acp option etc.) either on github or in text form that'd be great!

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

If I try to keep the same functionality it won't really perform any better.

I am assuming the problem is with the part that selects users who have a_ and m_ level permissions. If we want to get rid of that I could set it up to list team leaders on top and then team members below (replacing administrators and moderators respectively). I don't think we'd be able to list the forums the users are moderators of with that change though (not sure if that list is wanted or now).

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Oh I guess I misunderstood what you proposed. I'd be all for doing it through groups only. But yeah we probably need some extra options for admins vs. moderators then, or should we just display a team list with no separation? Not sure if we need to display forums for each one of them. Selecting them after knowing who needs to be displayed should be easier than using the permissions to decide who to display in the first place though.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

I'd just kick the current behaviour and start new.

Add an option to the groups and then do some kind of mix between the current thing (viewing the rank, primary group and the moderating forums (if any)) and
memberlist.php?mode=group&g=1
only with multiple groups.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

While on the subject of the Team page, there are two things that have always bugged me about it:

1) Moderators given a global permission (such as the mere ability to issue warnings) are labelled as Moderators of "All forums" when this simply is not the case, they may still only be assigned Moderator privileges of certain forums, and that should be what is displayed under the Forums column, not "All Forums"

2) Why are the forums that a Moderator can moderate listed in a drop-down list? This never made sense to me in practice - I guess it was conceived that way to avoid wrapping text or possibly breaking the page layout if a person was a moderator of a lot of forums... But I still think a simple, horizontal or vertical list of the forums in plain text, not as a pull-down, can be easily designed. ;)
Has an irascible disposition.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

VSE+ wrote:1) Moderators given a global permission (such as the mere ability to issue warnings) are labelled as Moderators of "All forums" when this simply is not the case, they may still only be assigned Moderator privileges of certain forums, and that should be what is displayed under the Forums column, not "All Forums"
This may just be an issue of either:
  1. Administrators not setting up moderators correctly on the board.
  2. Administrators didn’t want to actually assign them into a full moderator group.
I think changing the functionality so that it only lists moderator and administrator groups would suffice. If an administrator wanted users listed in there, they would need to put them into a moderator or administrator group. Which I think would be the desired configuration.
VSE+ wrote:2) Why are the forums that a Moderator can moderate listed in a drop-down list? This never made sense to me in practice - I guess it was conceived that way to avoid wrapping text or possibly breaking the page layout if a person was a moderator of a lot of forums... But I still think a simple, horizontal or vertical list of the forums in plain text, not as a pull-down, can be easily designed. ;)
You could have a veeeery long list of forums for large boards, so I think it would still break the layout. But you could solve this issue with a jQuery tooltip box.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

naderman wrote:Oh I guess I misunderstood what you proposed. I'd be all for doing it through groups only. But yeah we probably need some extra options for admins vs. moderators then, or should we just display a team list with no separation? Not sure if we need to display forums for each one of them. Selecting them after knowing who needs to be displayed should be easier than using the permissions to decide who to display in the first place though.
I tried just listing everyone in one list, but it doesn't quite look as nice.

I believe going with the team leaders on top where the administrators are currently placed and team members where the moderators are currently placed would be the best option.

Moderation privileges could be checked then from the data on the user_permissions field after the data is selected if we want to find out which forums the user is a moderator of (although I don't think it's necessary). Instead we could put up more information on the user such is as done on the view group memberlist page.

prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

Highway of Life wrote:You could have a veeeery long list of forums for large boards, so I think it would still break the layout. But you could solve this issue with a jQuery tooltip box.
It's unlikely that the layout would break as the text will simply wrap. It's the amount of unnecessary space that it takes up. Case in point (not including private forums, which would make the column even bigger):
Attachments
the_team.png
(98.28 KiB) Downloaded 15295 times

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

How about this from a functional point of view:

a) In the ACP groups can be marked as "Show on team page".

b) In the ACP we provide a backend to manage the team page. The page lists all the groups that have the "Show on team page" flag enabled. It is possible to move groups up and down in the hierarchy and it is possible to add spacers (to separate the administrators from moderators in the template for example).

From the development perspective this can probably be archived by using a single integer column in the groups table.

We have to think about what happens if a user is in multiple groups. It should probably be selectable if the users should show in all groups or only in the highest in the hierarchy.
Last edited by bantu on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected: forums table => groups table