[RFC|Accepted] Soft Delete

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
imkingdavid

Re: [RFC|Accepted] Soft Delete

Post by imkingdavid »

How about merging the functionality of disapprove into soft delete? In other words, currently when a post is disapproved from the queue, it is hard deleted. So why not just make it soft deleted? Then you don't have two different types of visibility.

Also, at what scenario can a post be both disapproved and soft deleted?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

imkingdavid wrote:How about merging the functionality of disapprove into soft delete? In other words, currently when a post is disapproved from the queue, it is hard deleted. So why not just make it soft deleted? Then you don't have two different types of visibility.
I think you got that one wrong? When a post is "disapproved" it is just gone. No need for any further status there.
imkingdavid wrote:Also, at what scenario can a post be both disapproved and soft deleted?

Code: Select all

<brunoais> It contains a approved unapproved state?
<brunoais> those are imcompatible
<nickvergessen> this is what the status of the topic is
<nickvergessen> when it has posts of the named kind in it
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

canonknipser

Post by canonknipser »

Disapprove can be a mistake (eg. wrong button pressed by moderator). If a disapproved post is only softdeleted, it can be restored.

so +1 for disapprove = softdelete
Greetings
Frank
phpbb.de support team member - no support via PM or mail
English is not my native language
Extensions and scripts for phpBB

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I'm not sure there would ever need to be a case where we allow both soft deleting and disapproving on a single post. If it is unapproved, do not allow soft deleting it, and there is no way to go back and set a post to unapproved after it's been approved.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

When I was thinking of trying to implement invisible posts, I was going to use the Disapproval mechanism to hide them. However, there were two issues.

First, how do you handle post counts when soft deleting? Do post counts decrement on soft deletes or only on hard deletes?

Second, I believe that the author should be able to see (and edit) unapproved posts -- and now posts that he soft deleted. This means that the poster should get the same icon that Moderators see for unapproved posts (and topics containing unapproved posts), but clicking it won't take them to the MCP. However, I do not think that he should be able to see posts that a Moderator soft deleted. (The former would probably be new function, though, and may require a separate RFC.)

However, if you make soft delete a kind of "disapproval" mechanism, that eliminates the problem of the MCP not having a separate Disapprove action (for public/previously approved posts) -- you use Delete and choose hard or soft.

You may also want to look at the linked topic for a list of potential pitfalls and questions, as well as EXreaction's existing Soft Delete MOD to see how that handled things. For example, in that MOD, only Moderators and Admins appear to be able to hard delete (and the post may have to have been soft deleted first); user deletions are all soft deletes.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Ah yes, I did not allow users to soft delete posts at all. It's been a while so I don't remember the specifics even myself ^_^

Here are the db changes I made:

Code: Select all

$db_tool->sql_column_add(POSTS_TABLE, 'post_deleted', array('UINT', 0)); // 0 for undeleted or user_id of the one who deleted
$db_tool->sql_column_add(POSTS_TABLE, 'post_deleted_time', array('TIMESTAMP', 0));

$db_tool->sql_column_add(TOPICS_TABLE, 'topic_deleted', array('UINT', 0)); // 0 for undeleted or user_id of the one who deleted
$db_tool->sql_column_add(TOPICS_TABLE, 'topic_deleted_time', array('TIMESTAMP', 0));
$db_tool->sql_column_add(TOPICS_TABLE, 'topic_deleted_reply_count', array('UINT', 0));

$db_tool->sql_column_add(FORUMS_TABLE, 'forum_deleted_topic_count', array('UINT', 0));
$db_tool->sql_column_add(FORUMS_TABLE, 'forum_deleted_reply_count', array('UINT', 0));

$permissions = array(
	'local'      => array(
		'm_harddelete',
	),
	'global'   => array(
		'm_harddelete',
	)
);

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:How about merging the functionality of disapprove into soft delete? In other words, currently when a post is disapproved from the queue, it is hard deleted. So why not just make it soft deleted? Then you don't have two different types of visibility.
+1
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
+1
As I mentioned above, you may still have two different types of visibility. If a Moderator disapproves (or soft deletes) a post, I think we can all agree that the user should not see that post. However, if the user soft deletes the post, should the user be able to see the post and restore it? I think that he should (just like I think that the user should be able to see his own unapproved posts).

If others agree with me, you still have two types of visibility based on who did the soft delete.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Pony99CA wrote:As I mentioned above, you may still have two different types of visibility. If a Moderator disapproves (or soft deletes) a post, I think we can all agree that the user should not see that post. However, if the user soft deletes the post, should the user be able to see the post and restore it?
In my opinion, no. It is how vBulletin does it, and it seems to work fine.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

callumacrae wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:As I mentioned above, you may still have two different types of visibility. If a Moderator disapproves (or soft deletes) a post, I think we can all agree that the user should not see that post. However, if the user soft deletes the post, should the user be able to see the post and restore it?
In my opinion, no. It is how vBulletin does it, and it seems to work fine.
Shouldn't we aspire to be better than vBulletin? :D

Steve