[RFC|Merged] Link global announcements to forums

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Re: Global Announcements in 3.1

Post by nickvergessen »

Updated the git-branch.
The only things that are still missing are:
  • The tracking system ...
  • Update-code: would be best if there weren't any while updating, but we can not ensure this right?
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

No we cannot, we will have to move them somewhere. Not really sure what the best approach for that is.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Okay, seems like it wasn't that hard to change the tracking.

The only thing left on the list now is, how to handle existing GAs.
The rest is ready for testing. :geek:

http://github.com/nickvergessen/phpbb3/ ... ouncements

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I'm not sure if this was mentioned since I read about half of the posts in this topic, but what is meant by "linking" to the GA from other forums? Because I like how it currently shows the forum name in breadcrumbs of the forum that the user clicked into the GA from. In phpBB 2.0 I believe that if you were to click on a GA, it would just take you to that topic in the forum it was originally posted in, which effectively makes it just a "link" to another topic. However, I see value in keeping it where it shows the forum you were in when you click on the GA in the breadcrumbs. Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "linking", but if it is how phpBB 2 did it, I'm not sure I'm for it.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

phpBB2 never had global announcements. But yes we do mean linking in the way you describe. I think it makes things a lot clearer to users who might otherwise be confused by the read/unread behaviour and might not realise that they are visiting a topic visible in multiple forums. It should however be visible on viewforum that it is a "redirect" to another forum.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

naderman wrote:phpBB2 did never have global announcements. But yes we do mean linking in the way you describe. I think it makes things a lot clearer to users who might otherwise be confused by the read/unread behaviour and might not realise that they are visiting a topic visible in multiple forums. It should however be visible on viewforum that it is a "redirect" to another forum.
Ahh good point. I haven't use 2.0 for a long time except on one forum that is reluctant to update. I guess they have a Global Announcement MOD installed. Anyway, yeah I guess if it is shown that it will move them to a different forum, that would be OK.

Although maybe you could put something in the URL to retrieve through GET to let them get back to the previous forum?
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

We could add the same thing we also have in the search:

Code: Select all

» in {FORUM_NAME}
tmp.png
(36.46 KiB) Downloaded 3651 times
Or even use something like the topic-moved icon. Than it should be quite clear, that the topic is in an other forum and you get "redirected". Problem on the moved-icon thing is, we do not have an unread-moved icon yet.

code reader

Post by code reader »

maybe....
i am not sure if this is the case - i did not actually read all the recent changes to the code.
however, i thought of something that may make life easier (or not). if i'm wrong in my assumption, or if it doesn't make life any easier just scrap it.

so here goes:
IMO, global announcement is not "global topic".
i do not see a need for "global topic".
what it means is that global announcement should not be reply-able, which may make the whole permission treatment much simpler: anyone can read a global announcement, and nobody can reply, thank you very much. so when dealing with global announcement, you should never have to consult the user's permissions.

peace.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

As it was possible to reply in the past (and that makes sense for me) it should also be in future.

The only difference Global Announcements have from normal Announcements, in the dev-branch I made:
  • GA are viewed in all forums you're allowed to see
  • GA are viewed in the first page of the UCP

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Maybe the posting user has a tab on the attachments on who can access that GA, but in the ACP 'Special Groups could be set that always have at least certain permissions meaning members could not stop moderators and admins seeing them and moderators could not stop admins. But having it so that only admins can overide the who can view permissions meaning admins could stop moderators seeing it, but members and moderators could not stop moderators seeing it.

Its complicated but could probably work with alot of IF statments?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.