phpBB 3.3.1-RC1 released

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
3Di

Re: phpBB 3.3.1-RC1 released

Post by 3Di »

Tastenplayer wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:55 am The only strange thing is that a few icons are displayed. And that's why you get the idea that it's a bug in 3.3.1 and post it here.
Again,
3Di wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:50 am there are no bugs about FA5 and its transition as far as I can tell, it's all about studying FA updates. phpBB 3.3.1-rc1 correctly shows its icons even if some of them have changed to BOLD.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

rxu

Post by rxu »

Tastenplayer wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:55 am Yes but apparently an additional code/link in the overall_header is needed to display the new version 5 icons inserted in a css.
What style is it about and is there a place where one can see the current code causing issues?

Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

rxu wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:22 am
Tastenplayer wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:55 am Yes but apparently an additional code/link in the overall_header is needed to display the new version 5 icons inserted in a css.
What style is it about and is there a place where one can see the current code causing issues?
I'll see if I can update my free forum tomorrow.

Edit: No problems when updating from 3.3.0-b2, only in prosilver no icons were displayed at first (Firefox again :) ).
http://style-creations.bplaced.net/phpBB3/ Board / user: tester_1 password: as in Quickinstall
http://style-creations.bplaced.net/phpB ... ?f=20&t=68 the problem style
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

You only need to add font-weight: 900; to your CSS, like

Code: Select all

.forum_read_subforum::before {
	content: '\f1b3';
	color: #333333;
	font-family: 'Font Awesome 5 Free', 'Font Awesome 5 Brands';
	position: absolute;
	top: 22%;
	font-size: 25px;
	left: 15px;
	font-weight: 900;
}
Has been said here also:
3Di wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:33 pm Back to fontawesome 5 in use for 3.3.1:

only font-weight: 900; has been added to the CSS to let some old FA 4.7 used icons still display, that's the necessary evil since some of those are now Bold, there is nothing you can do, if you change it to something different than 600, 700, 800, 900 or Bolder the icons will be not rendered, that's due to FA and not a phpBB bug.

https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/595 ... 04842R2651

https://gist.github.com/marc1706/510140 ... s-diff-L87

You can still change font-size: 14px; to something lesser if you so wish.
That will affect all icons, beware.

2020-06-28 04_39_41-Style Creations Testboard by Tastenplayer - Index page.png
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

Well, it seems to be working. But a lot of them don't look as nice as in 3.3.0 :( But it seems not to work with all icons, if you can only insert the icon code into the css like with the forums & topic icons.

Tread

Post by Tread »

The solid fa 5 look terrible what ever made them go with the solids.

Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

You can install the light or regular version for 99 dollars per year in your style. Only the solid icons are free.
Not all, but some look bad. Some are much too big - you have to scale down in the css. A new icon that I added to the navbar today, I had to enlarge it and configure it completely different. Some of the old icons of the forums & topic icons I had to replace. Also you have to make them smaller. An icon that I had inserted in the lastsubject is no longer displayed correctly.
Three days for updating 3 styles and still not finished. In some styles it is like a bottomless pit. :( .

Edit: 26.06.
Even if nothing more should be written here concerning the icons:
I think it's an absolutely no-go if you have to format every icon differently in size if you want to insert them as forum & topic icons in style. This is caused by a mixture of old and new icons, I think (or because in the css you cannot choose fab, fa, fas, far but only font-size normal or font-size: 900;).
Just now the Simple-3D installed in TB. The forum icons in the index vary from 20-24px now. But this way I find the appearance to be suitable.
Until 3.3.0, all these icons had one size and they looked good. Now, even some icons inserted into the html must be adapted, enlarged or reduced in the style.css.
Besides: what if a user wants to insert a completely different icon...

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Post by P_I »

Marc wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:23 pm Please test the packages to extent, so we can have a fail-save final release.
Are there any specific testcases or environments that still need to be testing to help with the fail-save final release? What other help can the user community provide? My testing to date has generally gone quite smoothly and I await the announcement of the general release.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Updated from 3.3.0. 10 Forums, 134 topics, 3381 posts, 50000 users on a test bed made by quick install. No issues other than having to reload the browser cache to get the new font awesome stuff to load.

Would you like me to try it on a larger test bed?

[EDIT]Updated a larger test bed. 13594 posts, 512 topics, 50001 users. No issues.
Last edited by RMcGirr83 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

3Di

Post by 3Di »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:26 pm ... No issues other than having to reload the browser cache to get the new font awesome stuff to load.
That should be fixed (if merged) by https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/6017