phpBB 3.2.10-RC2 released

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Talk19Zehn

Re: phpBB 3.2.10-RC2 released

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello, a possible argument of the developers with the result that you could add this HTML element yourself would be inappropriate or even catastrophic: From my personal point of view, style authors and / or phpBB users in the sense of a shifted division of work to be carried out only because of the deletion a single important HTML line. This HTML award has proven itself. Are tasks redistributed? This is / would be an inappropriate approach, especially for inheritance templates (tasks should be redistributed (?)).

This is not new and I know what to do if there was no reintegration of that abolition.

The argument is unknown and in a worldwide software this tiny change (in my view) makes little sense. A line that changes the designer structure and shifts maintenance costs makes little sense worldwide. It is not about my person who, based on your interpretation, would not know how to help.

I'm sorry if you think so. The fact that designers are free is and was not the question.

Incidentally, my screenshot shows no change that has been made by a third person. Because newcomers are also entitled to the change. If I have not complied with the BBCode rules, I apologize.

Best an friendly regards :)

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Why accuse others who try to help you by answering your questions with real data?

I'm not gonna take this wagon.
Good luck with your projects.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

That element wasn't producing anything visible on the page though so not sure what the fuss is about. It was being assigned the divider class which has display: none. If it was producing something visible in your style and you need it then you'll need to do your own adjustment. The individual post containers should be able to produce any visual division you may have wanted to accomplish anyways.

Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager

Post by Crizzo »

Visual stuff = CSS
Content = HTML

So, a visual HTML got removed. Don't see the problem.

Kirk

Post by Kirk »

In the common.ccs this should also be removed.

Code: Select all

hr.divider {
	display: none;
}

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Kirk wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:52 pm In the common.ccs this should also be removed.

hr.divider {
	display: none;
}
Also in print.css there is a reference at line 22

img, .noprint, .navbar, .box1, .divider, .signature { display: none; }
But really are not harming IMHO.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello, from my personal point of view, the class divider is often used with CSS3 / HTML5. It's not useless CCS stuff.

In my view, abolition is not a step into the future. Only, it does not help the authors - either way - from my point of view, there is currently a huge step backwards instead of nourishing this line.
It is a step backwards, which also distributes tasks differently. It is too easy to make a judgment about a requirement, justifying it with an argument, it represents useless CSS instead of sensibly changing solutions.

Whether vertically or horizontally or in combination in various HTML files, it does not make sense in many cases from the perspective of the respective authors. *) Because they used the class.

And if this one-time entry is abolished, then it should also be abolished consistently: Correct
hrdividerphpBB330_3Hits.png

If this is necessary from the developer's point of view, I would like to ask the question again, what led to this decision?
One line ... to abolish ...

A display: none;
doesn't prevent me from doing it, for example a "display: block;" apply and e.g. to incorporate valuable new CSS3 concepts.

And "post" is not the same thing to incorporate great CSS nations, features in that position, or otherwise. Divider made sense - either way.

I am happy to solve my own concepts. And still there is a bitter aftertaste. It's about phpBB and not basically about my concepts.

:) Friendly greetings

*) Edit: Especially when it comes to pure child designs etc.
And / or integrations, inheritance play an important role ...
etc. etc.
Last edited by Talk19Zehn on Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Talk19Zehn wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:34 pm And if this one-time entry is abolished, then it should also be abolished consistently: Correct
Feel free to open a ticket, I will be more than glad to remove those two CSS dead references. Thanks.

Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Edit: *)
Feel free to open a ticket, I will be more than glad to remove those two CSS dead references. Thanks.
Your request wish is correct, but it does not correspond to my context. ;)

*) Edit: Quote forgotten
Last edited by Talk19Zehn on Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

You brought it up. Or was it just to throw shade at the developers?