Control panel module system

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
david63

Re: Control panel module system

Post by david63 »

I know I am probably jumping the gun a bit here but are there any plans on how extensions will be migrated?
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

mrgoldy
Former Team Member

Post by mrgoldy »

I mean, not automatically but it shouldn’t be too much work.
It’s a major new release, they have to do some changes.
Data from acp_info should be translated to the new parameters. And main_module should become a regular controller, which most extensions already do anyway.

But this is not really I want this topic to be headed. It still needs some work and I would like some more details on that.
phpBB Studio Proud member of the Studio!

mrgoldy
Former Team Member

Post by mrgoldy »

So, the questions I still have, for which I need answers/verification:

- Remove the module installation: \phpbb\install\module\install_data\task\add_modules
- Remove the modules table in a new migration
- Remove the database migration tool for modules: \phpbb\db\migration\tool\module
- Remove the adm/style/acp_modules.html template file
- Remove anything related to modules throughout the code
- Remove everything from includes/*cp/*
- Deprecate all module related language strings

Main questions would be:
- Should I deprecate or remove language strings?
- Should I remove or leave a blank for the migration tool, for extension migrations?

All old migrations related to modules in the core should remain, I suppose?
As we are not supposed to touch old migrations, right?
phpBB Studio Proud member of the Studio!

rxu

Post by rxu »

mrgoldy wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:12 pm - Remove the module installation: \phpbb\install\module\install_data\task\add_modules
+
But the issue here can be that add_modules seems to be needed to complete migrations (see below). Probably it should be replaced with a "dummy" task which don't actually install modules in the meantime but just prevent migrations from erroring (then removing modules tool should implement something similar - not actual removing but prevent migrations error).
mrgoldy wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:12 pm - Remove the modules table in a new migration
+
mrgoldy wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:12 pm - Remove the database migration tool for modules: \phpbb\db\migration\tool\module
This tool will be probably needed to complete 3.xx migrations during installation as well as in converting 2.x/3.x scenarios, so it's rather needed to be kept.
mrgoldy wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:12 pm - Remove the adm/style/acp_modules.html template file
+
mrgoldy wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:12 pm - Remove anything related to modules throughout the code
+
mrgoldy wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:12 pm - Remove everything from includes/*cp/*
+
mrgoldy wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:12 pm - Deprecate all module related language strings
Or just remove them as no interface should be needed regarding modules.