[GSoC] Chat-like PMs interface :: discussion before coding starts

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [GSoC] Chat-like PMs interface :: discussion before coding starts

Post by Senky »

david63 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:21 am ...as Admin like to be able to "file" certain PMs for ease of future reference - things like reported PMs, long running discussions with certain members (usually troublemakers), Moderator discussions, PMs with useful information in them. On phpbb.com I like to file PMs relating to my extensions separately.
Very good points! We will definitely keep folders then.

david63

Post by david63 »

Senky wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:33 am We will definitely keep folders then.
Thank you :D
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

akbarhashmi

Post by akbarhashmi »

hanakin wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:38 pm Would like to see a more detailed mock-up of the proposed changes to really way in as it’s somewhat difficult to understand everything.
Sure thing, this was done in a hurry ill try making a clearer one.
visuals and UI which is where I am really concerned.
Could you elaborate a bit on this? Do you mean it does not match the current style?

Folders do seem important to retain :D

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

just trying to understand everything you are changing with the UI as I have to take it into consideration for the development of the new UI for the new theme and would like to get a better idea to of what you are think to be able to provide better feedback on how to implement it to meet both versions.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I'd like to see a simple mockup of it... Maybe a "quick&dirty" HTML files without js.... Maybe a mock is enough, tough.
If I understood right, it seems good

akbarhashmi

Post by akbarhashmi »

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 7.02.17 AM.png
Well, I hope this gives a general idea. As we proceed it will get clearer. Feedback, if any, is always appreciated.

david63

Post by david63 »

I am not sure what that is meant to represent but judging by the ticks I an guessing that the panel on the left is a list of messages and that the bottom panel on the right is the message content - so what is the panel top right?

Personally I would prefer the left panel to be a list of folders, the top right a list of messages in the slected folder and the bottom right the message content.

Ideally it would be good if this was user configurable but that is perhaps a step too far
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I'd rather work with "collapsible" directories on the left side, smaller checkmarks, an indicator if the destination user is online (means probable quick answer) (cannot bypass invisible!). Each directory has multiple messages, a scroll to scroll through the messages and a "search filter" kind of thing to filter titles, sender or receiver.
That, if I understood right how you are planning that.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

also what is all the space on the left for? The nav? are you keeping it as is?

Note: I will be working on the re-design of the components for the ucp for the new theme soon which may help to have a look at once im done.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

akbarhashmi

Post by akbarhashmi »

I explained everything in the document, but it's probably not clear.

The left panel is similar to how different conversations are currently being displayed, one panel for each conversation. Forgot the scroll bar.
(We can probably just display all in a single panel)
I need to think about the folders although reconfigurability is probably out of the scope.
brunoais wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:21 am I'd rather work with "collapsible" directories on the left side, smaller checkmarks, an indicator if the destination user is online (means probable quick answer) (cannot bypass invisible!). Each directory has multiple messages, a scroll to scroll through the messages and a "search filter" kind of thing to filter titles, sender or receiver.

The tick marks are just place-holders for some sort of indication as to whether the messages have been read. (Since we will be merging inbox/outbox)
I'm no designer(clearly), hanakin probably has a good idea for this.
Darkened boxes are meant to represent unread messages.
hanakin wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:38 am also what is all the space on the left for? The nav? are you keeping it as is?

Note: I will be working on the re-design of the components for the ucp for the new theme soon which may help to have a look at once im done.
I had no idea that the ucp was being re disigned, this is great news to me! More space to work with.