EU-DSGVO or GDPR Aspects on Development

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: EU-DSGVO or GDPR Aspects on Development

Post by DavidIQ »

This could be something added for translators as a variable they could add to for their specific country. Bottom line is that the whole world is not being held to the GDPR and an even smaller chunk by the German interpretation of it. I think an extension would be the solution for this and not anything in the core. As I understand it one already exists so your problem is pretty much addressed and resolved by the usage of that extension.

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

KaiMI wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:10 pm Hi,

I'm pretty sure, that latest with the e-Privacy laws this (or a very similar) function will be a mandatory function in the EEC.
My recommendation is to be prepared.

Best regards
I'm not aware that GDPR would require consent for cookies required by the site. Handling extensions is pretty much impossible, as we have no control over what cookies they set or not set. We might be able to hack in something, however, at the end of the day it will be worthless if an extension author does not update their extensions. And extensions can already query the CookieConsent API for the status.

Tbehrens

Post by Tbehrens »

DavidIQ wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:55 pm Bottom line is that the whole world is not being held to the GDPR
I shall disagree with you. The GDPR applies to anyone who offers services to EU users. I’ve linked one source, there are likely better ones. To quote:

“For example, the GDPR applies to an American company whose website is made available to people in the EU“

Anyone with EU users who has personal data - name, email address, DOB for example - is impacted by GDPR.

That’s a huge chunk of your user base. It’ll be the rare board that uses geofencing to keep EU users out.

I think having this in core will help immensely. Alternatively, an extension that is created by the core devs or closely monitored by the core devs and kept up-to-date to work with maintenance and major releases of the board.

Source: https://www.recode.net/2018/5/16/173609 ... on-privacy

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

It's already dealt with here anyways. However my comment was more directed at hobby sites/forums which are not based in the EU and don't have any assets in any EU country. The EU would basically not have any jurisdictional/legal power to enforce the GDPR in those instances since these entities don't actually do "business" in the EU as your provided link puts it. Regardless of that it's probably best to just have the information being added through the afore-mentioned pull request to give extra coverage.