Modification

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
mickybela

Modification

Post by mickybela »

Just a suggestion for phpbb4, I think a modification installer should be included with it. In phpbb3 I noticed that it is quite hard sometimes to install a modification that isn't on one of the default themes and I think it would be great if when you installed a plugin, or whatever you may call it, you didn't have to manually do it for other themes. I know that some other forum softwares can install a plugin it takes about a click of a button and it fits in well with the theme with no hassle. This is one of the few points that I disliked about phpbb3, and it would be great to see it implemented in phpbb4.

david63

Re: Modification

Post by david63 »

phpBB does not have "modifications" it has extensions and this feature is, I believe, planned to be in phpBB 3.3 but unless the alternative style (not theme) uses the same codebase as the default style then there is little that the extension developer can do to ensure that the extension will work with that style.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Modification

Post by DavidIQ »

Just to add to what has been said: there is no such thing as phpbb4 nor is there one planned. In phpBB 3.3, the next planned release, there is already an extension installer in the ACP.