Some questions on Symfony

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
louis.watson

Some questions on Symfony

Post by louis.watson »

Hi there, I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place, but I have a couple of questions regarding Symfony and its current/planned integration.

First off I noticed that your still using version 2.8 of Symfony in v 3.2.2. Whilst reading their documentation, I noticed that 2.8 may not be maintained for much longer, with their current release at 4 and 2.8 being 2 versions away from support being dropped.

So have you guys tried using a newer version, are there any reasons other than it has not been a priority to update, why it couldnt/shouldnt be done?

Secondly, im intrigued as to why ucp.php has not been rewritten as a controller, i mean its hardly going to break compatibility turning it in to a route, or at the very least is very simple to ensure it doesn't, having ucp as a controller would give extension writers/modders easier access to user authentication and remove the need for the ugly hack of hiding/replacing register/login links when using external/custom authentication.

Carry on doing a great job though guys, I have been using this software on and off since its release, and its great to see it with such a solid code base and great community.

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Re: Some questions on Symfony

Post by Marc »

We are using Symfony 2.8 as it's a long term support version. It will be receiving bug fixes until November 2018 and security fixes until November 2019. When we initially released phpBB 3.2, Symfony 2.8 was the latest LTS release. Overall we try to use LTS releases as much as possible. We generally tend to not upgrade Symfony versions in between maintenance releases in order to prevent any major API changes for extensions authors.

Work on using controllers for all front-end facing files has already started: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4146

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Also, you should look in your Auth plugins if you want custom authentication, instead of overwriting existing links

louis.watson

Post by louis.watson »

Thank you for the response,

I was unsure to the timeframes involved so thanks again as that makes perfect sense regarding Symfony version. I also understand that its not fully integrated yet.

As for the authentication plugins, i had looked at them, although to be honest it was quicker and easier to write what i needed then to figure out the existing oauth system and then implement a custom provider, which would then still have to be tweaked to work the way i want it to.

I'm trying to keep my extension as style agnostic as possible, another reason why i rerouted login for now although i am becoming increasingly aware that's not going to be possible, or even what i want as an end result, but there are still things to be decided regarding the style, so has a lower priority.

I do have other questions but ill poke them in the extension writers forum where they belong :)