Should Usernames include emoji?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Should Usernames include emoji?

Post by hanakin »

Currently we do not support emoji in usernames. Is this something that we should allow if not we should add a better error msg then general sql error which is what happens when you try to register with one.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Should Usernames include emoji?

Post by DavidIQ »

Probably not. Also there are quite a few fields that will clunk out if you put an emoji in them. Username is one of them.

david63

Post by david63 »

Personally I cannot see any reason as to why you would want an emoji as part of a username and it would mean massive rewrite of the core - how would you create username_clean for example, which is used extensively. I suspect that it would cause more problems than it would solve.

If there is a genuine need for an emoji in a username then I would look at having as a separate field in the database and then appending where necessary.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Emojis are not written words, so no.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

No.

I think would be better to focus on using emoji on topic titles, email subject or email message.

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Post by bonelifer »

Agree with david63
+1 for what Vinny said
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

3Di

Post by 3Di »

hanakin wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:27 pm Currently we do not support emoji in usernames. Is this something that we should allow if not we should add a better error msg then general sql error which is what happens when you try to register with one.
Not in usernames please, the real matter here is to provide a meaningful error message instead of the rude SQL error indeed.

Since the username along with all the user data required for a new registration are handled by the user_add() function though, there is the place to where to start lurking at one possible solution for this, which at a first glance requires a bit to do in fact.

Another solution could be to replace the emojis entered with NOTHING or a replacement char like I did for an extension of mine. Reference: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2422576

About Vinny's suggestion = +1 by my side as well.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

DavidIQ wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:31 pmquite a few fields that will clunk out if you put an emoji in them
Why is this still an issue? Years ago I started using UTF8MB4 instead of UTF8 in MySQL5/MariaDB10 and migrated all potential text columns, and have not run into any issues so far. After all it's not about supporting Emojis, it's about (fully) supporting Unicode. Also posts with all those Unicode code points can be found by searching for them.

david63 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:53 amPersonally I cannot see any reason as to why you would want an emoji as part of a username and it would mean massive rewrite of the core - how would you create username_clean for example, which is used extensively.
Up to today nobody used it on my board either - after all people also need to be able to "enter" it when logging in, and most will fail when their mind is limited to how the keyboard looks. A rewrite however is not needed, as the cleaned username is already capable of all this - it's not stripped down to ASCII only.

And while we're at it: https://www.phpbb.com/community/memberl ... &start=125 looks like things went wrong in the past, maybe errors thru migration steps.

hubaishan

Post by hubaishan »

current version 3.2.2 with postgresql support emoji in usernames