Subfolder system for attachments

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.2/Rhea followed by 3.3.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.1. If you need support for phpBB 3.1 please visit the 3.1.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1732
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Subfolder system for attachments

Post by DavidIQ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Image

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:40 am
Location: Paris

Re: Subfolder system for attachments

Post by Nicofuma » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:52 am

It is solved if you use a cloud provider yes. But it also makes it easy to solve for the local storage: we can handle it completely in the local adapter. (Maybe with a fallback check for BC reasons)
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

User avatar
rubencm
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: Subfolder system for attachments

Post by rubencm » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Nicofuma wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:52 am
It is solved if you use a cloud provider yes. But it also makes it easy to solve for the local storage: we can handle it completely in the local adapter. (Maybe with a fallback check for BC reasons)
Yes, it can be done.
About backwards compatibility, i think it may not be necessary, i have an idea.

User avatar
rubencm
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: Subfolder system for attachments

Post by rubencm » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:38 pm

I have submitted a pr for this https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4968

BadBlock2
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:09 am

Re: Subfolder system for attachments

Post by BadBlock2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 am

rubencm wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:38 pm
I have submitted a pr for this https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4968
Interesting, I hope you tested it.
By the way, what if the board gets upgraded from a previous version? Will the existing attachments (all in one folder) still work?

User avatar
rubencm
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: Subfolder system for attachments

Post by rubencm » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:05 am

BadBlock2 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 am
Interesting, I hope you tested it.
Not much really
BadBlock2 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 am
By the way, what if the board gets upgraded from a previous version? Will the existing attachments (all in one folder) still work?
The number of subfolders used is configurable, and by default is 0 (no subfolders)

BadBlock2
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:09 am

Re: Subfolder system for attachments

Post by BadBlock2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:39 am

rubencm wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:05 am
BadBlock2 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 am
By the way, what if the board gets upgraded from a previous version? Will the existing attachments (all in one folder) still work?
The number of subfolders used is configurable, and by default is 0 (no subfolders)
So, no transition from 0 to 2 subfolders and thus no use for the existing forums?

User avatar
rubencm
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: Subfolder system for attachments

Post by rubencm » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:50 am

BadBlock2 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:39 am
rubencm wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:05 am
BadBlock2 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 am
By the way, what if the board gets upgraded from a previous version? Will the existing attachments (all in one folder) still work?
The number of subfolders used is configurable, and by default is 0 (no subfolders)
So, no transition from 0 to 2 subfolders and thus no use for the existing forums?
If you change the configuration (you change the number or subdirectories or the mail directory, or even the storage system), all files will be moved from one configuration to another (but sill isnt done)

Post Reply