phpBB 3.2.1 RC1 released

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
javiexin

Re: phpBB 3.2.1 RC1 released

Post by javiexin »

Marc wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:56 am I think we overlooked the event already being part of a previous release and therefore didn't object to the renaming. That is something that can be undone to prevent potential issues for extension authors.
No, I don't think we overlooked this: the proposal for this change was done well before 3.2.0 was published, to an event that was new as of 3.1.11RC1, and the original proposer of the event was consulted. The problem is the six months from 3.2.0 to now. The discussion about the rename dates back to December, and was revisited later.

janus

Post by janus »

sajaki wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:56 am hi,

Could you please indicate if existing 3.2.0 styles need to be updated for 3.2.1 ?

See https://gist.github.com/marc1706/008db6 ... 82f389f6fc

david63

Post by david63 »

sajaki wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:56 am hi,

Could you please indicate if existing 3.2.0 styles need to be updated for 3.2.1 ?
There is a topic on phpbb.com with the style changes
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

any estimate time for release final version?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

LavIgor wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:50 pm Hope there will be a fix then. ;)
Well the "fix" would be for you to change your extension. BC breaks are exactly that and not an indication that the software has to somehow change.

javiexin

Post by javiexin »

LavIgor wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:50 pm
javiexin wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:53 am The only non-bc change in Metadata Mgr is the move of the output_metadata_to_template function to acp_extension, where it belongs. And yes, this affects your "upload" extension.
Interestingly, this is your change, javiexin: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4698.
Yes, it is not backwards-compatible as it renames and moves a public method used by Upload Extensions (this extension is mine and not their).

Hope there will be a fix then. ;)
Yes, it is my change, that's why I knew it was not BC. And I will do whatever Marc and the devs tell me on this respect. However, in my view, this method is a pure "view" method, that does not belong in a "model" class such as Metada Manager.

About the Upload extension, my fault: being authored by "boardtools" i assumed it was from both you and ForumHulp.

But, from the "core" point of view, the Upload extension is a "replacement" of acp_extensions. Therefore, you should transpose any changes and improvement implemented info acp_extensions unless you want "Upload" to be behind. This is just one (more) of these changes. And there are some more you should/must implement.

-javiexin

PS: if I am not mistaken, 3.2.0 also had a BC break in this same method: before, the template object was part of the class, and after, it was a required parameter of the method.