BBcodes

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.2/Rhea followed by 3.3.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.1. If you need support for phpBB 3.1 please visit the 3.1.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
User avatar
JoshyPHP
Registered User
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: BBcodes

Post by JoshyPHP » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:01 am

Templating is only half of it. Users want to modify their behaviour via the ACP.

Also you don't lose anything by having default templates in the ACP and per-style templates in bbcode.html.

User avatar
hanakin
Infrastructure Team
Infrastructure Team
Posts: 790
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: BBcodes

Post by hanakin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:13 am

thats what i was trying to say is that they want both and need both

koraldon
Registered User
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:06 pm

Re: BBcodes

Post by koraldon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:52 am

Maybe the user should not be able to delete core bbcodes, but will be able to disable them?

User avatar
Jacob
Registered User
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: BBcodes

Post by Jacob » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:46 am

JoshyPHP wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:36 pm
→ Lets all admins delete the default BBCodes and then complain that they don't work anymore. :sarcasm:
I agree with the sarcasm.

Please, keep them hardcoded. In fact, hardcode as many "usual" BBCodes as possible. That way they will work across boards.

User avatar
JoshyPHP
Registered User
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: BBcodes

Post by JoshyPHP » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:58 am

If you add too many BBCodes by default then you'll have another group of users asking for a way to delete them. There's no winning this.

The correct way to deal with it is to treat the default BBCodes the same way as custom BBCodes and add an option to add more BBCodes from a list of predefined BBCodes. So after they delete the default BBCodes and realize they don't work anymore, they can re-add the original BBCodes with just a couple of clicks.

User avatar
javiexin
Registered User
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:04 am

Re: BBcodes

Post by javiexin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:46 am

JoshyPHP wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:58 am
If you add too many BBCodes by default then you'll have another group of users asking for a way to delete them. There's no winning this.

The correct way to deal with it is to treat the default BBCodes the same way as custom BBCodes and add an option to add more BBCodes from a list of predefined BBCodes. So after they delete the default BBCodes and realize they don't work anymore, they can re-add the original BBCodes with just a couple of clicks.
+10

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: BBcodes

Post by DavidIQ » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Maybe just providing an option to disable individual BBCodes might be better and only allow default BBCodes to be disabled and not deleted?
Image

User avatar
Louis7777
Registered User
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:32 am

Re: BBcodes

Post by Louis7777 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:18 pm

DavidIQ wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:27 pm
Maybe just providing an option to disable individual BBCodes might be better and only allow default BBCodes to be disabled and not deleted?
Even better, allow them to be disabled AND edited but not deleted... and have an option to restore the defaults.

User avatar
Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 4:01 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: BBcodes

Post by Vinny » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Louis7777 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:18 pm
DavidIQ wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:27 pm
Maybe just providing an option to disable individual BBCodes might be better and only allow default BBCodes to be disabled and not deleted?
Even better, allow them to be disabled AND edited but not deleted... and have an option to restore the defaults.
Or do the same as the pre-defined groups. You can view and edit, but you cant delete. Pre-defined bbcodes :)

User avatar
brunoais
Registered User
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: BBcodes

Post by brunoais » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:52 pm

To view predefined BBCodes, one has to dig in into the files because their definition cannot be represented in the current custom BBCode form.

Post Reply