What standard does phpBB follow for setting cookies?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Re: What standard does phpBB follow for setting cookies?

Post by P_I »

@CHItA and DavidIQ, if you re-read the first post, I've been focused on the input that the board admin supplies and trying to understand the requirements/standards that apply. Since there is no explanation text associated with the cookie domain field, the board admin is left on their own to input something.

From my viewpoint, there is enough evidence in the Support forums that this field is problematic, so I'm trying to understand the requirements and see if there is something that can be done to improve the situation. Since cookies are covered by a RFCs, that was my starting point.

Based on what I've learned through this discussion, I came to the conclusion that creating [PHPBB3-15151] ACP Cookie settings should contain explanatory text for all fields was an opportunity to improve the situation.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Yes, I get that. The takeaway point from the discussion should be that the preceding period is not really required by code and is merely used in support documents for when the settings used do not work. That should help you formulate the applicable description text.

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Post by P_I »

Thanks. I have been giving some thought to appropriate explanation text based on all the replies, plus the knowledge base article and other articles that have been linked into this discussion. WIP.