Conversations

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
CarpCharacin

Conversations

Post by CarpCharacin »

A conversation serves the same function as a PM, but it is more modern and advanced. A conversation has a layout closer to a topic, you can start a conversation with one or more participants and they can all see conversation messages unless they leave or are removed from the conversation. Once everyone leaves and or gets removed from the conversation, the conversation is deleted. Most modern forum software such as XenForo and WoltLab Burning Board use conversations. I think that PMs should be replaced with Conversations in phpbb 3.3.

Un1matr1x

Re: Conversations

Post by Un1matr1x »

I hardly disagree. This is one of the most hated feature @ a wbb 4.x board which I use.

The conversion from pm to conversations was a pita. the conversations had to be more and strikt regulate, otherways the board would collaps.

At least, only because XYZ uses this "feature" does not show any advantage due to the PM. If I want to chat with a special group of people, I use a chat-tool. If I want to write to "everybody" I use a topic. If I want to write a personal message, I use a PM. Maybe I'm oldfasion but I don't see "this superadvanced usecase" for conversations. The only field that I could emagine, would be for board-team-members to disscuss about Reports, ... - and this can be done via a team-only board and a topic.