Do We Still Need Auto Update?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Ger

Re: Do We Still Need Auto Update?

Post by Ger »

Indeed, I missed that completely.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Ger wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:56 am In fact, I recall this has been discussed about a year ago or so, but -IIRC- DavidIQ mentioned it wouldn't be so simple.
DavidIQ wrote: I fully agree that the automatic updater should just be removed.[...]
:P
What I've changed my mind on has been the "file differences" list. I don't think we need to even do that either, unless we go a similar route of what Coppermine does and allow for getting such a list separate from the installation.

Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

Everyone makes some great points, however I'm split on this. I'm in favor of removing the auto update package, but would ask to please keep the patch files option - they save me a boatload of time. :)

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

I agree, don't stop the patch files option. Some of us now have to upgrade our forums that way with "far fewer files to upload". Otherwise it becomes a huge job upgrading your forum with the full upgrade package when you've made changes. At least with the patch files, 9 times out of 10 you can just overwrte the same files because they wasn't changed in any way. You can't do that with a full update package when some files have been changed, you don't know what files was changed/or not changed in the full upgrade - so your left having to reapply any custom changes afterwards because you need upload the full package.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

+1 to keep the patch files.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

david63

Post by david63 »

I would still contend that the basic tenet of phpBB from 3.1 onwards is that core files are not changed therefore there is no need for patch files.

Whilst patch files/auto-update are being "officially" supported then there is a perception that it is OK to change core files. This really is an issue for phpBB.com to resolve (actually, in my opinion, it should have been resolved at the time of 3.1's release) - either stop supporting core changes or "officially" revert to allowing mods.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!