subsilver3

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
CarpCharacin

subsilver3

Post by CarpCharacin »

I like the look of subsilver. Will there ever be an official release of a subsilver3 style? By subsilver3, I mean a prosilver based style that looks like subsilver, but is responsive.

mrgtb

Re: subsilver3

Post by mrgtb »

No, from what I gather subSilver theme has pretty much been scrapped now

If you're looking for a theme to use with 3.2 RC1 for your fish forum running on it, click the link in my signature and download the theme for 3.2 RC1 and see if you like it.

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

Why did subsilver get scrapped?

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

SubSilver I think was originally created for phpBB2 and later came ProSilver for phpBB3. So subSilver was the first and 'oldest theme' that warranted being removed nowadays really. Even proSilver needs to be replaced now with a new default theme.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

to complicated to maintain its codebase officially while trying to maintain prosilver and work on a new theme. It really is that bad of a theme... There are user maintained versions or well not sure if they are still maintained but they exsist

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2307281
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

subsilver is a 15 year old style. My suggestion is to create another official style called subsilver3 for 3.3/4.0 and have it based on either prosilver, or the new style.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

There are many good reasons not to release a second style, all of which were reasons for removing subsilver to begin with. Not likely to change based on all those reasons.

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Marc »

subsilver2 has been completely dropped in 3.2 and will not return. I don't see the style language being continued in any way so I don't think there will ever be a subsilver 3.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

subsilver2 is still maintained to 3.1 and agree not support for 3.2, as mentioned by David and Marc.

I really encourage styles authors create versions for subsilver2 based on prosilver, like Allan Style - SUBSILVER. Not as official styles, but independent and alternative styles.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

CarpCharacin wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:19 pm subsilver is a 15 year old style. My suggestion is to create another official style called subsilver3 for 3.3/4.0 and have it based on either prosilver, or the new style.
Personally, I think they need to drop both Prosilver and subSilver themes and come up with something new. ProSilver (as it looks here) used with 3.2, hate to say it but it looks terrible and not changed that much really on look and doesn't help in getting people to use phpBB. The amount of people on other forums I use that keep bringing up ProSilver looked dated and has been around for too long as default theme, it proves people generally think phpBB is stuck in past using a now "too old a theme".

A new theme was asked for with 3.1.x and didn't happen - I was expecting one would have come with 3.2 and Prosilver was dropped, seemed like one was in the works before for it when following the Beta/RC versions of 3.1. Shame to see it still being used with 3.2, it's had its day and needs to be shelved if phpBB.com expect to get more people interested in using phpBB, and at time when forums frankly are flagging with people wanting to run a community now because of social networking. It doesn't help keep using this ProSilver theme - even if I do like the changes made to it myself different from here on my own site.