Declutter: My suggestions

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Rebecka

Declutter: My suggestions

Post by Rebecka »

I wish phpBB become less cluttered.

I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this but the only way to determine this is by mentioning it.

What I feel is cluttered is navigation. Especially if I want to add my own pages/links in the navigation bar.

So here are my suggestions:
  • Move FAQ to Quick links (after Search).
  • Move ACP+MCP to User drop-down (UCP, Profile, Logout) - after Profile.
These two minor adjustments would make it so much better in my opinion. Much more neat.

Please write if you agree. Maybe it's just me who thinks it's cluttered as it is now.

Screenshots for demonstration:
FAQ in Quick links
FAQ in Quick links
ACP and MCP in User drop-down
ACP and MCP in User drop-down

Added "Page" just to show how you can now use the navigation bar better.

david63

Re: Make it less cluttered: My suggestions

Post by david63 »

Rebecka wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:11 am What I feel is cluttered is navigation. Especially if I want to add my own pages/links in the navigation.
Is that not something of a contradiction? On one hand you are saying that the navigation is cluttered and items should be moved off (which is actually fairly simple to do) and then, having moved those items off you want to add more.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

I think the FAQ should be independent, but I agree on the others.

;)

Rebecka

Post by Rebecka »

david63 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:34 am Is that not something of a contradiction? On one hand you are saying that the navigation is cluttered and items should be moved off (which is actually fairly simple to do) and then, having moved those items off you want to add more.
I don't think so. Yes, it's quite simple to accomplish yourself, I just think it would be neat if phpBB looked like that from the start.

As for adding other links, it's up to each person. However, if someone wants to add pages or other links, there is room for it. Now I can see people add pages and other links after FAQ (ACP and MCP affects only certain users) which makes it more cluttered. By relocating FAQ and ACP+MCP you get space for custom links. It also becomes more clear as to what is forum links and customized links.

I would also propose to rename "Quick links" to "Menu".

Again, this is my personal opinion and it's therefore understandable that others might disagree. If so, there is of course nothing stopping me from doing it myself. :)

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Re: Declutter: My suggestions

Post by bonelifer »

As someone who uses the MCP and ACP links daily, I rather they stay where they are.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

JimA
Former Team Member

Post by JimA »

bonelifer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:14 pm As someone who uses the MCP and ACP links daily, I rather they stay where they are.
+1, I'd prefer that too.

I do think though it would be fine to move the FAQ under Quick Links.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Moderator Team Member
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

No support here on Area51, please visit the Support forums over at phpBB.com

david63

Post by david63 »

JimA wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:35 pm I do think though it would be fine to move the FAQ under Quick Links.
I see that somewhat differently. FAQ should be clearly visible at all times.

Take the, probably, main use - a new user, they want the information easily accessible, not have to spend 10 minutes searching round the board (that is if they knew where to start looking) to find out where/how things work.

We all have different views on this, as will all the users and, at the end of the day, we should not loose sight of who any board is for - the end user.

The solution to this is to allow users to configure the menus to their own preference - that way everyone is happy (just as long as you leave the FAQ where they can see it so that they know how to customise it ;) ;) )
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Rebecka

Post by Rebecka »

Nvm.
Last edited by Rebecka on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Post by bonelifer »

Rebecka wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:09 pm What do you think about this instead?:
navbar.png
Place FAQ + ACP + MCP below profile? There's nothing there anyway. They are as accessible as now.
I believe the reason they weren't put there is that is that same line is the line that contains the Forum+Categories:
example:

Code: Select all

Area51 > Board index > phpBB 3.x Development > [3.x] Tickets Discussion 
Now these category/forum/subforum names are fairly short compared to other boards, where I've seen one that was that length and that was only the category name length. Basically if you had those links on that line it was cause spacing/badly wrapped text and wouldn't look good.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Rebecka

Post by Rebecka »

bonelifer wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:47 pm I believe the reason they weren't put there is that is that same line is the line that contains the Forum+Categories:
example:

Code: Select all

Area51 > Board index > phpBB 3.x Development > [3.x] Tickets Discussion 
Now these category/forum/subforum names are fairly short compared to other boards, where I've seen one that was that length and that was only the category name length. Basically if you had those links on that line it was cause spacing/badly wrapped text and wouldn't look good.

I understand and agree. It was a bad idea.