[RFC][PHPBB3-14596] 3.1.x - Installation denied if PHP >=7

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Re: [RFC][PHPBB3-14596] 3.1.x - Installation denied if PHP >=7

Post by Nicofuma »

You always have a carbon copy of phpBB. Always. The only difference could be with the default branch but it doesn't matter because it doesn't change the content of the git repository at all and it van be changed at any time
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC] 3.1.x - Installation denied if PHP >=7

Post by DavidIQ »

3Di wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:14 pm The issue it was IMHO about the phpBB's repo being sat to the 3.1.x branch as per default but we need to fork the MASTER branch.. anyway....
Not at all, no. When you fork a repo you're forking the entire repo, not just an individual branch. It would be up to you to switch branches locally to the right one after cloning finishes (i.e. git checkout 3.1.x) to then create your local branch for your proposed changes. You seem to be on the right track now though. :ugeek:

3Di

Re: [RFC][PHPBB3-14596] 3.1.x - Installation denied if PHP >=7

Post by 3Di »

Nicofuma wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:54 pm You always have a carbon copy of phpBB. Always. The only difference could be with the default branch but it doesn't matter because it doesn't change the content of the git repository at all and it van be changed at any time
I do not know why but during my experiments (4 days) I have found that (as I above stated) only if you fork the phpbb's repo (on github, I mean I am forking the phpbb one from github in order to have a fork into my github's account) after you sat it to be into the MASTER branch gave to me the install folder like it should have been (into my PC, so here I am CLONING my phpbb fork into my PC) .. but I could be wrong and in any case - as for now - I am not so really willing to step back and redo all of what I did to confirm again this .. you know.. ;)

Thanks Nicofuma, I really appreciate.
DavidIQ wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:05 pm
3Di wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:14 pm The issue it was IMHO about the phpBB's repo being sat to the 3.1.x branch as per default but we need to fork the MASTER branch.. anyway....
Not at all, no. When you fork a repo you're forking the entire repo, not just an individual branch. It would be up to you to switch branches locally to the right one after cloning finishes (i.e. git checkout 3.1.x) to then create your local branch for your proposed changes.
Sure thing.
I believe that's should be the intended behaviour but as I above explained I faced some issues in order to have also the install folder as it should have been..
The logic though positively plays on your side guys, I know.. :
DavidIQ wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:05 pmYou seem to be on the right track now though. :ugeek:
To give up has never been into my plans. :) :geek:

I thank one more this great Community for all of the patience that demonstrate to us noobs, for the sake of a great project and the spirit of it.

I am always open to discuss anything I posted, regards. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades