Complete redesign of the update process?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Stringence

Complete redesign of the update process?

Post by Stringence »

Hello,

The current update process is manual, very time consuming, and consists of no less than 15 steps, that must be performed in exactly the correct order.
In simple words: to manage an update, one must be either a programmer, or a database expert, or both.

Anyone who knows when this will be redesigned? A simple "Update"-button in ACP would be enough.

You must understand that most of phpBB-users aren't programmers, nor have databasing as a hobby.

//

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Re: Complete redesign of the update process?

Post by CHItA »

You can upload the files of the version you update to and then run database_update.php, so could you elaborate on "15 steps"?

3Di

Post by 3Di »

CHItA wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:52 pm You can upload the files of the version you update to and then run database_update.php, so could you elaborate on "15 steps"?
Hi, since 3.0.2-b2 the database updater can be run also from the cli or web (a simple button there in ACP that does that job could be added though). That's indeed a good feature, no more need to get/upload the install folder in order to run it, in some support cases especially.

What the OP I guess meant is to have this sort of facilities also for upgrading the board.
That seems already been done too, if I correctly understood..
CLI updater - A new command is available to update the board
https://wiki.phpbb.com/Release_Highlights/3.2.0-b2

About the 15 steps, I don't know.
regards.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Ger

Post by Ger »

The current "automatic" update method (merging changes if any) was very good and powerful in the days of 3.0.x, but since modifications are discouraged it's not really useful any more for most boards running 3.1.x. Since phpBB now mostly deals with unmodified installations, updating can be made easier.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Added as a feature request for 3.3.0-a1
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14518
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Ger wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:50 am The current "automatic" update method (merging changes if any) was very good and powerful in the days of 3.0.x, but since modifications are discouraged it's not really useful any more for most boards running 3.1.x. Since phpBB now mostly deals with unmodified installations, updating can be made easier.
Except for those users who insist on modifying the core code to get modifications that haven't been ported to extensions onto their forums.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

Ger

Post by Ger »

3Di wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:07 am Added as a feature request for 3.3.0-a1
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14518
Thanks!
RMcGirr83 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:42 am Except for those users who insist on modifying the core code to get modifications that haven't been ported to extensions onto their forums.
That's why I wrote "most" boards, not all. ;)
The automatic updater doesn't have to be removed of course, it could be kept for those boards who need them. In the long term, it might be deprecated/abandoned if statistics prove it isn't used (much) anymore.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Seems we are comparing to wordpress updating here.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

John P

Post by John P »

There are still a lot of changes in core as I experience.
Events and functions not in core, maybe asked but still not in versions of phpbb.
It's not wise to stop automatic updater!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

John P wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:03 pm There are still a lot of changes in core as I experience.
Events and functions not in core, maybe asked but still not in versions of phpbb.
It's not wise to stop automatic updater!
We are talking about an 3.3.x new feature.. ;)