[3.3.x][Feature] Topic description

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
3Di

Re: [3.3.x][Feature] Topic description

Post by 3Di »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:40 am If you made an extension why are you requesting that it be added to the core? I didn't realize you had used an event. For all I know you edited a screenshot and added stuff to the image.
Because I think it should be part of the core code. And no, I didn't edit an image.
You can check the image to see that... if you know how to do it. ;)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

3Di wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:44 am You can check the image to see that... if you know how to do it. ;)
I don't have time to check every image on the internet to see if it was edited or not. That is a waste of time and effort.

-1 for the request. I don't think it's needed and, as you have proven, can easily be accomplished via an extension.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

3Di

Post by 3Di »

If the answer is "can be accomplished via an extension" to every feature request ..
.. because that's it at the end of all, I have a new feature request then:

make every new phpBB Version feature frozen to begin with. ;)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

That isn't the point. The whole purpose, last I knew, was to keep the code as minimal as possible. Sure stuff can be added that would benefit everyone but I haven't seen a feature request acted upon in quite a long while. Topic descriptions don't really add anything and are, at best, for a very limited audience.

Membership subscription (eg, payment to be a member for some forums) though I bet would be very welcome.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

3Di

Post by 3Di »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:05 am Membership subscription (eg, payment to be a member for some forums) though I bet would be very welcome.
That's already into the GSOC project of this year, and in any case it will add a lot of code to the core one, not simply a couple of bytes like this. ;) So to speak.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

3Di wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:11 am That's already into the GSOC project of this year, and in any case it will add a lot of code to the core one, not simply a couple of bytes like this. ;) So to speak.
That's not really relevant. What dictates if we do something in the core is not the complexity of the code, but the usefulness to the general population. If a few hundred people are asking for a subscription system that is more likely to be coded into the core than if 2 people are asking for a topic description feature.

david63

Post by david63 »

DavidIQ wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:19 am What dictates if we do something in the core is not the complexity of the code, but the usefulness to the general population. If a few hundred people are asking for a subscription system that is more likely to be coded into the core than if 2 people are asking for a topic description feature.
Digressing slightly, but whilst that argument has some merit surely a "few hundred" requesting a feature is a small percentage of the total users and is, in my opinion, the type of "feature" that should be an extension - official or otherwise.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Well, once and for all I would like to know if the problem is to keep the code base as light as possible or not then, because 2 people stated - in this topic - it should. (Senky and Rich if I correctly recall).

Also more than 2 people stated in this topic this feature it is useful to have.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

david63 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:25 am Digressing slightly, but whilst that argument has some merit surely a "few hundred" requesting a feature is a small percentage of the total users and is, in my opinion, the type of "feature" that should be an extension - official or otherwise.
Yes this is also true. It was merely an example of what would be a factor in deciding if something should be added to the core or not.
3Di wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:26 am Well, once and for all I would like to know if the problem is to keep the code base as light as possible or not then, because 2 people stated - in this topic - it should. (Senky and Rich if I correctly recall).

Also more than 2 people stated in this topic this feature it is useful to have.
Ok so 3 or 4 people? That's including yourself. The point is not very many people have asked for this. And the idea of "keeping the core light" is not to add a bunch of smaller features. The idea is to have it with the features that are most requested and sought after. The amount of code something takes to accomplish is not really taken into account.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Not every phpBB user logs in to post a +1 or a -1, you know that.

In a perfect world every feature request should be posted as a Poll into the main site? Yes.

Also this will be not enough, I remember of those Pools made there to see which extensions are the prefered to have, got a final answer but those extensions have not yet been made. ;)

One of these it is the paypal one. 8-) No need to post the links, everybody knows.