[3.3.x][Feature] Topic description

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
leschek

Re: [3.3.x][Feature] Topic description

Post by leschek »

Rhino.Freak wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:33 pm I personally think so too. Topic descriptions isn't that useful and I wouldn't really use it, I had it earlier in FM but I disliked it and users didn't quite fill it too.
When I moved from phpBB 2.x with categories hierarchy to phpBB 3.0 I quite miss topic description feature. I learned how to live without it, but I still think it is useful feature to have.
Rhino.Freak wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:33 pm Now that we have an extension I'm not sure why else this needs to be merged to the core.
I'm not against extensions, but I'm afraid that if extension author stops to develop it I will lost all the data I and my users put into it (as happened me with the User Blog Mod).

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

Don't worry at all, this is a very simple extension. It doesn't even require maintaining as far as I know.
You can use it freely without worry!

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

On a picture board I administer such a topic description is at max 255 characters long and used in this way:
  • Subject: Milla Jovovich (51 x)
  • Description:"Resident Evil: The Final Chapter" premiere, Roppongi Hills (六本木ヒルズ), Minato (港区), Tokyo (東京都), 13, JP, 2016-12-13
  • Text: (the pictures only)
And this is used throughout the whole board. Non-picture topics also profit from this feature by writing summaries, which neither subject nor post text could be used for. The advantages are:
  1. board search fully supports it (searching 3 words means i.e. 1 can be in subject, 1 in description and 1 in post text - not sure if an extension can achieve this)
  2. descriptions are displayed in every topic list (viewing a forum, viewing search results, managing subscriptions, managing bookmarks...
The 3.0 MOD was only basically providing this while not providing any search support (which I consider the most important one).