[3.3.x][Feature] Topic description

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
leschek

Re: [3.3.x][Feature] Topic description

Post by leschek »

I was using it in Categories Hierarchy and I think I will use it again if it is feature in phpBB. I used it in similar way they use bold font on notebookcheck website e.g:

Title - "HP Spectre 13 Notebook Review"
Description - "Mission impossible"

TWEagle

Post by TWEagle »

3Di wrote: Mon May 30, 2016 7:32 pm Let's say about the support forum.. how many Topic titles have we seen like "help", "doesn't works", I want to", etc.. giving the opportunity to describe the reasons why somebody is askin for help will be nice and usefull.

Just a scenario, I have a lot though.

The Topic description will show (in this my feature request) only in viewforum, search, topic starters.
I understand why this is a good feature ut indeed if we are going to add it in the core then the core will be getting bigger.

Or what we can do is like Drupal does working with packages or like they say Profiles

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

I'm of the school of thought where, if you feel you need to write a topic description, you're topic title must not be very good.
Has an irascible disposition.

Ger

Post by Ger »

3Di wrote: Mon May 30, 2016 7:32 pm
Let's say about the support forum.. how many Topic titles have we seen like "help", "doesn't works", I want to", etc.. giving the opportunity to describe the reasons why somebody is askin for help will be nice and usefull.
Do you think that users who don't write a descent topic tile, will write a good description? Only if the field is required, but that would force many users to write useless or duplicate information in that field to statisfy the validation. And in this example, I expect to see something like:
title: Help
desc: Can't get this to work
or
title: Error
desc: Weird text messages on top of page

That wouldn't help much, would it?
3Di wrote: Mon May 30, 2016 7:32 pm The Topic description will show (in this my feature request) only in viewforum, search, topic starters.
I'm thinking... Would the topic preview extension achieve the same result? Of course you'll get much more information, but that isn't really a bad thing if you want this.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

leschek

Post by leschek »

Ger wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:25 am title: Error
desc: Weird text messages on top of page

That wouldn't help much, would it?
But you can also make better topic descriptions. e.g. Knowledge base on phpBB.com (not topics, but it's quite similar).

Ger

Post by Ger »

Of course there can be some use cases, but the question should be: would this benefit the majority of boards? I think it wouldn't.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the idea, but with all the boards I've actively participated on, this wouldn't be a real improvement. Actually on the contrary: 1 board had the feature but has disabled it several years ago since it didn't really result in a better overview of topics yet there was a lot of (useless) clutter. I now has something like the topic preview extension (default in IPB) and that actually works quite well.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

minion800

Post by minion800 »

3Di wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:40 am Hi,
if I posted into the wrong forum please move, thank you.

It would be nice and useful to add a new feature:
Topic description, as per the attached image
topic-descro-1.png

I am open mind.

Thanks.
VSE wrote: Tue May 31, 2016 11:51 pm I'm of the school of thought where, if you feel you need to write a topic description, you're topic title must not be very good.

I agree with 3Di, I could also use this option. My clients needs are for a user to be able to enter a price that stands out and is easy to read/see. Sure I can change the font size and color make it bold in the post but that is not what my client is asking for. So when people say "Your topic title must not be very good" that is very narrow minded thinking. The use case for a 2nd subject line or in this case "topic description" goes a lot farther than just narrow minded thinking.

Thanks.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

There are events that are available and can be used to achieve what it is you are looking for. There is also this 3.0 mod which can be ported.
Last edited by RMcGirr83 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

3Di

Post by 3Di »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:26 am There are events that are available and can be used to achieve what it is you are looking for.
How do you think I was able to do it and then make the screenshot I posted into the topic starter?
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

If you made an extension why are you requesting that it be added to the core? I didn't realize you had used an event. For all I know you edited a screenshot and added stuff to the image.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money