phpBB 3.2.0-b2

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
John P

phpBB 3.2.0-b2

Post by John P »

As requested I tried to install B2.

It refreshes the page and got stalled at 91%
timeout.jpg
Refreshing the page gives me a "Seek position 5 is out of range" error message.
Going back to Index.php says phpbb already installed. Don't know what I'm missing now.

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Re: phpBB 3.2.0-b2

Post by CHItA »

If that is your local test server, please just increase max_execution_time in your php.ini, and restart apache.

John P

Post by John P »

Off course I could do that and able to finish the install but it should also work on a real webserver. Previous installs never had a problem with this so why changing default settings only to install phpbb?
Don't think a lot hosters will change their settings for phpbb

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Marc »

This is actually caused by the combination of the incredibly slow MySQL server on Windows. Even the slowest webserver running on a proper setup shouldn't be that slow.

John P

Post by John P »

Well I did a lot of installations on this server without any problems and since 3.2.0.a2 its not working anymore.
My server didn't change so it's the installationscript of phpbb,. The previous installation script is much more efficiënter is my conclusion then.

A installationscript should not depend of a maximum timeout of a server. It should refresh on time so it will end it's proces in a correct way.

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

Every PHP script depends on the maximum execution time. Nothing we can do about that. I would also note that i could install it on xamp as long as it was greater or equal to 2 sec which is not too much to ask for imho. Based on the information i got, i fixed the issue, and you also get an error message now, suggesting what the problem is, and also offering some solutions to that problem, therefore this issue is fixed.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

Well.... are you always seing this error? And always at the same step? (Sending notification email). Because if it is the case it doesn't really matter. The installation is completed at this point.
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

John P

Post by John P »

No it also stopped once in previous step, don't remember the value but around 81%.

But I will increase the maximum time and ignore warnings as the problem is already fixed and inform everybody to ignore warnings at setup.