"Extension Upload Button" for ACP

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
John P

Re: [RFC] "Extension Upload Button" for ACP

Post by John P »

3D-I wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:18 am Yes.
Even easier.. directly put the 'upload extension' into the phpBB package prior to upload it, once phpBB it will be installed you can activate the extension from the ACP, two birds with just one seed. :)
That's a good idea 3D-I

Arni_1

Re: "Extension Upload Button" for ACP

Post by Arni_1 »

LavIgor wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:19 pm It's not two steps instead of one.
You speak about installing a single extension other than Upload Extensions, but what about users who have ~50-100 extensions installed or even more? (I know some of them.)
I don't think that anybody really want to install so many extensions. For the most people are one or two extensions enough.
But if you want to install all your 100 extensions at the same time it would be still easier to handle using a FTP client instead of using "Upload Extensions" because it would be only one step to upload them all at the same time via FTP.
LavIgor wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:19 pm The question is: have you tested Upload Extensions yourself? If you have to install only one extension on your board - then yes, it will be easier to use only FTP. When you need to install 2+ extensions, the benefit is obvious.
That's not correct. Read my comment above.
LavIgor wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:19 pm I need to admit that Upload Extensions is not only 'an extension that adds an upload button', it shortens the time for the whole extension management process (enabling, updating, installing language packages etc.).
That's right. But why not integrate that useful extension into the php standard package to make it easier to upload new extensions without the need of using an additional FTP client for uploading that extension (or any further extension) besides the need of using your browser to enable that extension via the ACP anyhow as one more step?
LavIgor wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:19 pm And a question for you: where have you been for all that time since phpBB 3.1.0?
You ask the developers to implement a brand new feature in a hurry when we've already had seven 3.1 maintenance releases and the 8th is coming.
I don't think I have to comment this.

Arni