Change title of main topic and title of response

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
pierredu

Re: Change title of main topic and title of response

Post by pierredu »

Dragosvr92 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:29 pm To remove the prefix :
Find this part in the vse/smartsubjects/event/main_listener.php:
Thanks,
I've already written a tiny extension which does just that.
Sorry for the double post.
Cn somebody delete the first one?

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

VSE, If you want to remove them, you just do it, knowing you cant get them back.
I dont see what is so destructive if you dont give any relevance to the data. It is like throwing something you dont need to the garbage. You make sure you dont really need it, before throwing it.

Many extensions have to be edited to make them compatible with your style. Or to remove features you dont need out of it.
If the user knows what they are doing, i dont see whats wrong in that. If they want support, they can revert to the stock files, or kindly ask if the dev wants to help or not.

@pierredu, I think i could make a simple extension that hides the Re: on an aesthetic level, but it will still be there, if you ever want it back.
But i have family here until sunday and i dont know if ill have much time online.
Previous user: TheKiller

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Dragosvr92 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:45 pm VSE, If you want to remove them, you just do it, knowing you cant get them back.
I dont see what is so destructive if you dont give any relevance to the data. It is like throwing something you dont need to the garbage. You make sure you dont really need it, before throwing it.
I'm talking about an extension, which users can turn on and off. An extension should never compromise the data in the database, especially when it's not data created by the extension. An extension, when disabled, should leave the board as though it were never there.
Dragosvr92 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:45 pmMany extensions have to be edited to make them compatible with your style. Or to remove features you dont need out of it.
If the user knows what they are doing, i dont see whats wrong in that. If they want support, they can revert to the stock files, or kindly ask if the dev wants to help or not.
First all extensions can accommodate any style as long as its author chooses to provide styling for other styles when necessary. If you don't want to use some of the features of an extension, don't use them. If they can't be avoided, then that extension is not right for you, or ask the author if they could implement ways to make such features configurable.

Of course anybody can hack away at the code if they feel like it. That's their prerogative if they want to potentially introduce security vulnerabilities, break functionality, or much worse. But you can't expect me or any other extension author to seriously consider helping users out who've hacked up their code and caused themselves problems because of it. And on official phpBB channels such as this forum, I can not condone such recommendations. (Not to mention, any hacks will be destroyed if they update the extension, another reason NOT to mess with a carefully crafted extension).
Has an irascible disposition.