API

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
mcanonic

API

Post by mcanonic »

Hi,
I'm new and I hope that I picked up the right board for this kind of question.

I'm looking for a library to run some basic task on an external phpbb site. Tasks like:
- list of the boards available
- date of the last post in a specific board

I'm new in this kind of programming area and I'm wondering if there are any library/API to start with.

Looking around on Internet I find out various solutions but I'm wondering which is the best one. I meant, someone proposed some HTML parser (BeautifulSoup) or a browser emulator (mechanize) and I'm really confused. Finally, the restful API

Where do you suggest me to start. Also, a very simple example in order to obtain the list of boards available would be very useful.

Thanks,
Massimo

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Re: API

Post by CHItA »

At the moment, phpBB doesn't provide a REST API. This means that what you try to do is a rather difficult task. You might use a HTML parser, however, more than likely that you won't end up with a generic tool that could be used with any phpBB board. For these reasons there is no simple example that I could give you, and this topic is pretty much out of scope in this context at this board (I'm not quite sure whether this is a correct sentence or not).

mcanonic

Post by mcanonic »

Thanks.
Are you aware of any alternatives to REST API, in order to obtain data concerning what I'm lookng for. May be crawler is a viable solution? If yes, any suggestion concerning the "right" crawler for phpbb?
Best,
Massimo

aleha

Post by aleha »

I remember talking about it with Nicofuma on IRC. REST API is a possibility for 3.3. It will also give a great boost towards creating mobile applications for a phpBB board.