CMS auth

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Kiweed

CMS auth

Post by Kiweed »

The biggest thing i get asked from clients is to have authentication from phpBB with the major CMS sytems joomla / wordpress and as a scratch drupal

How many people use the ldap authentication plugin .... 0.01% of users
The amount of forums that are getting converted to CMS front end is stagering
We really need to get phpBB following current trends ASAP ..... we dont want to sink into the abis any further

A lot of this has come from this thread (VERY INTERESTING READ WITH VERY DAMAGING REPLIES FROM STYLE TEAM @PHPBB.COM
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2337786
and also the fact 99% of the bridges are crap. It would be so nice to have one user database say in joomla

google phpBB trend
This was rocketthemes justication to ditch phpBB3 styles for good :( ..... they match with CMS perfect

So what im asking is an authentication plugin for the user/password .... profile data not essential (with CMS groups would be nice but if ya have to KISS ie keep it simple stuped thats ok)

so Try and keep with current trends and make phpbb software an easy option for CMS users

I have tried the kunena forum for joomla but it dosnt handle the thousads of users each day
kunena w 4 those who dont know what it is
http://www.kunena.org/

a little thing that *beep* me off was you guys said no to "topic time" for listing posts (so they can see topics as posted without the bounced replies - kunena has it as a default option but thats getting beyond the request for CMS auth plugins

Hopefully with a simple thimng like this we can grab a little more market share from our dismal showing now

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: CMS auth

Post by DavidIQ »

Kiweed wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:18 am A lot of this has come from this thread (VERY INTERESTING READ WITH VERY DAMAGING REPLIES FROM STYLE TEAM @PHPBB.COM
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2337786
and also the fact 99% of the bridges are crap. It would be so nice to have one user database say in joomla
I wouldn't say that was a damaging reply at all. It is a very good reason as to why the status quo for 3.1 styles is what it is. Plus that likely prompted the discussion here:
https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 81&t=48426

We recognize it is a problem but tackling it is far more complex than you think. We will have to figure something out before the release that comes after 3.2.
Kiweed wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:18 amSo what im asking is an authentication plugin for the user/password .... profile data not essential (with CMS groups would be nice but if ya have to KISS ie keep it simple stuped thats ok)
The truth of the matter is that plugins are possible and really not that complicated but nobody has bothered with them due to lack of interest. If we do provide a plugin for X CMS then someone else will come in and complain that we ignored Y CMS and Z CMS. So if we did an auth plugin/bridge for a CMS we would have to figure out which one. I always thought we made the bridges possible so the CMSs themselves would create them, much like Coppermine did, but they don't seem to have anyone with enough interest either.
Kiweed wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:18 am a little thing that *beep* me off was you guys said no to "topic time" for listing posts (so they can see topics as posted without the bounced replies - kunena has it as a default option but thats getting beyond the request for CMS auth plugins
Yes that is out of scope in this topic but I'm interested to know what it is you're talking about as it is kind of rare that we reject an idea that makes sense and has a proper and real use case.

Pony99CA

Re: CMS auth

Post by Pony99CA »

DavidIQ wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:46 am
Kiweed wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:18 am a little thing that *beep* me off was you guys said no to "topic time" for listing posts (so they can see topics as posted without the bounced replies - kunena has it as a default option but thats getting beyond the request for CMS auth plugins
Yes that is out of scope in this topic but I'm interested to know what it is you're talking about as it is kind of rare that we reject an idea that makes sense and has a proper and real use case.
I think that Kiweed is referring to the Forum sort order by Topic Time topic. He is also likely confusing "rejected" with "not (yet) implemented".

As you said, though, that's off-topic here, but for some reason it was brought up here instead of bumping that topic. :?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.