Integrated Expandable Life Chat Area

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
SvenLittkowski

Integrated Expandable Life Chat Area

Post by SvenLittkowski »

Would be useful for a number of forums (or maybe all of them), if there would be an integrated live chat area. If not needed, the user can keep it m minimized as an icon at the bottom or side, but when in the mood for a chat, click that symbol and it expands to a chat of adjustable size.

Optional: if that phpBB chat could also support mic and maybe even webcam, if the admin allows these features (based on his server/hosting specs). This would be the spice for many forums!
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Integrated Expandable Life Chat Area

Post by DavidIQ »

This screams extension. We build forum software, not chat software.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

While a number of boards do have chat, I agree with David.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
SvenLittkowski

Post by SvenLittkowski »

Hmmmm, okay. I thought, the meaning of "forum" is a place whee people come together, in order to discuss things. Not just by text but in any possible way. But if there is such an extension for the 3.1.5, I will check it out and probably use it. :-)
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

SvenLittkowski wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:53 am Hmmmm, okay. I thought, the meaning of "forum" is a place whee people come together, in order to discuss things.
Technically, phpBB is Bulletin Board software (hence the "BB" at the end). Forums in phpBB are just a way to better organize information compared to real world bulletin boards. That said, I'm not opposed to having a chat feature in the board, but I know that others are. In either case, I think that a chat feature would be best implemented as an officially-supported extension. After all, phpBB supports Jabber for notifications, so why can't it support Jabber for chat?

There were chat MODs for phpBB 3.0, but I haven't checked to see if there are any extensions yet for 3.1.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.