Specify multiple smilie codes, for the same smilie

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Should we do this ?

Yes, sure, it will simplify the smilies list layout.
67%
Noo. I dont want anything to be changed. Go away.
33%

Total votes: 12

Dragosvr92

Specify multiple smilie codes, for the same smilie

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Currently, since phpbb2, if we have separate smilie codes, for example : ) or :- ) or : smile: or :] or =)
.... we have to add the same smilie again. We should be able to add different smilie codes for only ones smilie entry.
Separate them by a comma inside the smilie row and code the software by php to extract the right data.

This would be a major change in the code, and there is no rush for it. Could it go into 3.2 or maybe 4.0 ?
Previous user: TheKiller

Dragosvr92

Re: Specify multiple smilie codes, for the same smilie

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Also, as it was sortof mentioned in this topic, the user should be able to choose a smilie pack from their ucp, same as they do with with a prefered style or language. This way the user can manage different smilie packs that they might prefer to use/see. Maybe they hate the yahoo smilie pack and they want the Skype smilies. Smilie inheritance should be added incase there are yahoo smilie codes that are not added on the skype pack. In my mind, these suggestions sound great. I think 4.0 should provide the user these features. :)
Last edited by Dragosvr92 on Sat May 02, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Un1matr1x

Post by Un1matr1x »

Dragosvr92 wrote:Separate them by a comma inside the smilie row and code the software by php to extract the right data.
o,O

this smilie couldn't be added - it has a comma inside - so what to do? Additional any other symbole might be used by some board in smiliecodes. It should be easier to manage the codes that have the same image, f.e. by the cahnge to adding another imput-field for a smilie-image where you enter the code

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Yeah, we can use something else as a smilie-code separator. It doesnt have to be a comma.
That can be decided by whoever implements it, and they can ensure all symbols can be used correctly.

Edit: Have a look at my smilies page. It is mostly full of the same smilie images that repeat because they can be generated by multiple codes. :|
Smilies_-_2015-05-02_18.38.06.png

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Doesn't that make your smiley panel much bigger?

Anyway, to solve the problem of which character to use, you'd enter the character twice to escape it. For example, :-, would be entered in the ACP as :-,,. (Users would only have to type the former, of course.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

If you're looking for a separator, whitespace would work fine, e.g. :) :-) :smile:

I think it makes a lot of sense to group smilies together in the interface. I don't know about the database, but as far as the UI is concerned it would be an improvement.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

@Pony99CA, No it isnt making it bigger, it greatly simplifies it by making it smaller. It makes it bigger in the current format, that we need a new smilie entry for the same smiley image that could be generated by various codes that represent the image smilie. Look at my image.
The smilie page in the image would be half of what it is, without the repeating smilie entries.

What smilie-code is too much to show on the available space, can be shown on hover, in the title field. And in the Smilie edit option.
But there is plenty of empty space for that.

@JoshyPHP, Yep, a space seems to be a good separator as spaces arent allowed in smilie codes. Good idea. It would only need the php-source-code to read and separate them. No database changes.

Elsensee
Development Team
Development Team

Post by Elsensee »

I still can't see the reason for this change. Why can't you just use one smiley code?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Elsensee wrote:I still can't see the reason for this change. Why can't you just use one smiley code?
We actually have a few of the smiley codes duplicated here on A51, although that's likely because of test versions dating back to the 2.x days and beyond. Some examples are:

Code: Select all

Very Happy - 2 entries - :D :-D
Smile - 3 entries - :) :-) :smile:
I think allowing separation by spaces would resolve this and not require a ton of changes.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Dragosvr92 wrote:@Pony99CA, No it isnt making it bigger, it greatly simplifies it by making it smaller. It makes it bigger in the current format, that we need a new smilie entry for the same smiley image that could be generated by various codes that represent the image smilie. Look at my image.
The smilie page in the image would be half of what it is, without the repeating smilie entries.
I understand that. I was asking about the smiley panel that the user sees (to the right on the posting page). I imagine on your board he'd see the same icon over and over and wonder what the difference was.

I don't have a problem with the function being suggested -- it makes sense -- I just wondered how your current system looks to the user.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.