User's Topics

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
XTF

User's Topics

Post by XTF »

Profile does contain a User's Posts link but not a User's Topics link. Could it be added?
The view would be like /search.php?search_id=egosearch

Pony99CA

Re: User's Topics

Post by Pony99CA »

It could be added if somebody writes an extension. I'm curious why you care about the topics that a user has posted in, though. Isn't seeing the posts more useful?

If you really want to see a list of topics that a user has participated in, if you do an Advanced Search, type a user name in, set Search within to "Post subjects and message text" and Display results as to "Topics", you'll get a list similar to the ego search.

As a hint for others, though, if you do an Advanced Search, type a user name in, set Search within to "Topic titles only" and Display results as to "Topics", you'll get a list of all topics that a user has started. I can see that being useful.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

XTF

Post by XTF »

Pony99CA wrote:It could be added if somebody writes an extension. I'm curious why you care about the topics that a user has posted in, though. Isn't seeing the posts more useful?
A list of topics gives a much more compact view of where a user has posted, especially if he has dozens of posts in certain topics.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

XTF wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:It could be added if somebody writes an extension. I'm curious why you care about the topics that a user has posted in, though. Isn't seeing the posts more useful?
A list of topics gives a much more compact view of where a user has posted, especially if he has dozens of posts in certain topics.
True, but if I'm doing a search, I'd rather see what he has posted, not where he has posted.

Besides, I showed how to do the search above. It's a few extra steps, but I don't see the value of adding this to the core. I have no problem with this being an extension, though.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

XTF

Post by XTF »

Pony99CA wrote:True, but if I'm doing a search, I'd rather see what he has posted, not where he has posted.
Sure, that's why I don't suggest to replace existing functionality.
Besides, I showed how to do the search above. It's a few extra steps, but I don't see the value of adding this to the core. I have no problem with this being an extension, though.

Steve
The code is in core already (via egosearch), why would you not expose it to the user?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

XTF wrote:The code is in core already (via egosearch), why would you not expose it to the user?
Because it's not a feature everyone desires, as Steve is trying to point out. The Quick Links is supposed to be a set of links that are considered the most used. What you're suggesting doesn't sound like a very desirable or used link so would be best served by an extension.

XTF

Post by XTF »

I'm not requesting for it to be in Quick Links.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Ok so it would be in the statistics section of the profile but the same still applies. Also "egosearch" only applies to one's own posts so this search mode would not work to show another user's posted-to topics (changing the current link from the profile to end with "topics" only shows user-started topics) and one could arguably even add way more links: Number of topics started, number of topics posted to, etc. so we've basically included the most obvious desired information.

XTF

Post by XTF »

DavidIQ wrote:Ok so it would be in the statistics section of the profile but the same still applies. Also "egosearch" only applies to one's own posts so this search mode would not work to show another user's posted-to topics
Obviously it'd require a user ID argument but that should be enough..
and one could arguably even add way more links: Number of topics started, number of topics posted to, etc. so we've basically included the most obvious desired information.
Nevermind then :(

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

There's actually two events that were added to the profile page for that purpose:
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/3.1 ... w.html#L90
memberlist_view_user_statistics_before
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/3.1 ... .html#L106
memberlist_view_user_statistics_after
I'm sure one could go nuts adding all sorts of user statistics to there. ;)