Regarding user activation process by an admin

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
aleha

Regarding user activation process by an admin

Post by aleha »

Consider the following scenario:

User activations are controlled by an admin.

1) User registers
2) User receives a welcome email mentioning that an admin must activate his account

For the Admin to be sure that the User uses the email address he supplied during registration, he must send him an activation code by email. There is no other way. At least I don't see one.
To do that you have to do the following steps.

3) Admin logs in ACP
4) Admin Activates the User => User receives another email informing him that the account is activated AND he can login
5) Admin Re-Activates the User => User receives another email informing him that he must click on the supplied link to re-activate his account

User receives a total of 3 emails.
It is quite possible that the last crucial email which contains the activation link, will end in the spam folder because the steps 4 and 5 send two emails the one right after the other. Plus, the whole situation might be frustrating for some users (I can confirm that for a lot of users).

I believe this classifies as somewhat serious and needs fixing. What do you think? :)
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Regarding user activation process by an admin

Post by DavidIQ »

I'm not sure I understand what needs fixing here, if anything. You as the administrator have chosen to go this route. We are not actually forcing a double activation, an option we don't offer, nor sending 3 emails. Sounds like what the 3.0 MOD with the same name does actually.

At the most the system sends out 2 emails during a regular admin activation. Or are you saying that the steps for the administrator are one too many? Even if we cut the one extra step to re-activate the account you're still looking at three emails being sent.
aleha

Post by aleha »

I would like to merge steps 4+5 into a single step for the administrator.
So, when an admin chooses to activate a user, a single email will be sent that will read: "[...]In order to activate your account click on the following link[...]". In this case, the user will receive two emails: a welcoming and an activation email.

I understand that this does not apply to all boards. It can either be a new ACP option in Basic Tools for user administation, or an extension.

Are you referring to this MOD: Admin Activation E-Mail Enhancement? I couldn't find something else.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... tion_pack/

Not sure if he's working on an extension. Also if all you're talking about is cutting a step I'm not sure how that classifies as something "serious". At best it might be classified as a minor/trivial improvement but it might be nice to have that available in the core.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

So basically you want a way to for the Admin to check out the user's details (checking for spammy looking names and E-mail addresses presumably), but instead of the Admin activating the user, he sends the user an activation link -- sort of a delayed activation. That guarantees that the user's E-mail address is correct like User activation but still allows the Admin to control whether the user can activate the account.

That sounds reasonable to me. In fact, maybe we should just replace the current Admin activation with this new workflow. The initial E-mail would be changed to let the user know that a second E-mail would be coming with an activation link. If you don't want to replace the current Admin activation workflow, adding a Hybrid Admin User activation would be OK, I guess.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
aleha

Post by aleha »

Yes, Pony99CA that is exactly what I am saying. But I am too not sure whether the correct solution is be to replace the existing process or add something like a Hybrid Admin User activation as you wrote.
A simple proposal would be an option "Send activation email". It is what "Force reactivation" does but it will not require the user to be activated by the admin at first. I sense code duplication with this, so this should be looked carefully.
DavidIQ wrote:https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... tion_pack/

Not sure if he's working on an extension. Also if all you're talking about is cutting a step I'm not sure how that classifies as something "serious". At best it might be classified as a minor/trivial improvement but it might be nice to have that available in the core.
I might have exaggerated a bit about the impact of this :roll: But as you said, I think there is room for improvement. I'll have a look at this MOD (thanks for the link) as it seems to be relevant.