Remind extension devs about adding new events

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
omniError

Remind extension devs about adding new events

Post by omniError »

I've seen a few extension developers postpone or shelve what they were working on because of PHP or template events that they would need not being available. Each time I've sent them a comment saying that they should come here to area51 and post what they need so it can go into the next point release. I think this message should be publicized broadly, perhaps in the form of a news post or a general announcement so that is becomes more widely known. Thanks

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Remind extension devs about adding new events

Post by DavidIQ »

Well there's this so it might be that people just aren't bothering to read? How often does it happen that an extension author gives up on what they're working on because they don't have an event available where they need it?

John P

Post by John P »

I can talk about it to, Event request and code written but denied.

So I started changing the core again for my clients who loves phpbb but also wants to have the same functionality they are used to.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

The only reasons I can think of to deny an event request is if it doesn't make sense, there is an existing method to accomplish the same thing the event is intended for, it presents a security risk, or the event code was poorly written. They're not denied just because...

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

I've gone ahead and updated the forum rules box for the Extensions in Development forum on phpBB.com:
ext_dev_rulesbox.png
(31.07 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Hopefully this helps a bit. If by now extension developers are unaware of the steps they need to take to ensure they have the events that they need I'm afraid that an announcement isn't going to help a whole lot, so this is the next best thing we could do.

developer11
I've been banned

Post by developer11 »

DavidIQ wrote:They're not denied just because...
Im affraid they are denied just because....... sad but true....

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

developer11 wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:They're not denied just because...
Im affraid they are denied just because....... sad but true....
Please provide evidence of these supposed denials of event requests without cause or reason as I've not seen them.

developer11
I've been banned

Post by developer11 »

for now I cannot provide one because ive not looked closely but I was talking more about general human nature more than everything else....

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

So you stated something you didn't investigate as fact when it may not be the case at all? Interesting :roll:
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money