Show Quick links menu on hover, not on click

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Volksdevil

Re: Show Quick links menu on hover, not on click

Post by Volksdevil »

From my experience (Car forums over 10 years), my users have always heavily used "New posts", "Active topics" and "Unread topics". Personally I think they are probably what most users go for when they login.

So I've always liked to have them in view, however the new 'Quick links' obviously hides them which to me doesn't seem very quick at all? :? :lol: So I've created some buttons that you can't really miss.

Made use of the responsive design too. :D

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I use both -- but in different places.

On phpbb.com, I use View Your Posts to see replies to topics that I've posted in. View New Posts would be too big a list.

Here on Area 51, View New Posts isn't so large, so I use that here and follow mostly every topic and there's no need to use View Your Posts much.

That said, having to click the menu doesn't bother me. I just wish that those FCLs (Frequently Clicked Links) didn't have to be hidden in a menu at all (on big screens). But that's already been hashed to death....

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Users on my forum detest the extra click required for the ironically named "QuickLinks." It's not "quick." I'd prefer an extension to replace the QuickLinks menu with a variable number of literal text and link entries so that we can restore what used to be there if we want without editing core files. If there are none of these literal links defined, the new QuickLinks menu would be used in combination with an OnHover enable/disable checkbox.