Feedback on 3.1.0-RC5

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.2.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.2.x please visit the 3.2.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
roufneck
Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:34 am

Feedback on 3.1.0-RC5

Post by roufneck »

Hi guys, not sure where to post this. If these are bugs or not that's for the experts to decide.

In .htaccess I need to add this line for the webprofiler extension to work.

Code: Select all

RewriteBase /
In .htaccess I need to add this line so an extension can change the home page without messing with index.php. If index.php isn't called explicitly, it will call app.php and it tries to find a route for /.

Code: Select all

DirectoryIndex app.php
In .htaccess I've added this for some improved security. Some are not needed, but personally I'd like to keep it all in one place.

Code: Select all

# Deny access
RedirectMatch 404 ^/(common.php|config.php)
RedirectMatch 404 ^/(bin|cache|config|ext|includes|language|phpbb|store|vendor)/
The 404 redirect match for ext is debatable. I'm not sure if template resources are called within an extension. But for sure all other files shouldn't be accessible. Since I don't have those asset files yet, I just restrict access to extensions for now.

Another option is to rename the current .htaccess file to .htaccess.dist and let the user create and manage it's own file. I think this would be a better option anyway.

In styles/prosilver/template/forumlist_body.html there is this:

Code: Select all

<!-- BEGIN forumrow -->
	<!-- IF (forumrow.S_IS_CAT and not forumrow.S_FIRST_ROW) or forumrow.S_NO_CAT  -->
			</ul>

			</div>
		</div>
	<!-- ENDIF -->

	<!-- EVENT forumlist_body_category_header_before -->
	<!-- IF forumrow.S_IS_CAT or forumrow.S_FIRST_ROW  or forumrow.S_NO_CAT  -->
		<div class="forabg">
			<div class="inner">
			<ul class="topiclist">
				<li class="header">
					<dl class="icon">
						<dt><div class="list-inner"><!-- IF forumrow.S_IS_CAT --><a href="{forumrow.U_VIEWFORUM}">{forumrow.FORUM_NAME}</a><!-- ELSE -->{L_FORUM}<!-- ENDIF --></div></dt>
						<dd class="topics">{L_TOPICS}</dd>
						<dd class="posts">{L_POSTS}</dd>
						<dd class="lastpost"><span>{L_LAST_POST}</span></dd>
					</dl>
				</li>
			</ul>
			<ul class="topiclist forums">
	<!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- EVENT forumlist_body_category_header_after -->
Shouldn't the 2 events be inside the forum.S_IS_CAT check? Right now they are always called for every forumrow. I think they should only be called if the forumrow is a category:

Code: Select all

<!-- BEGIN forumrow -->
	<!-- IF (forumrow.S_IS_CAT and not forumrow.S_FIRST_ROW) or forumrow.S_NO_CAT  -->
			</ul>

			</div>
		</div>
	<!-- ENDIF -->

	<!-- IF forumrow.S_IS_CAT or forumrow.S_FIRST_ROW  or forumrow.S_NO_CAT  -->
	<!-- EVENT forumlist_body_category_header_before -->
		<div class="forabg">
			<div class="inner">
			<ul class="topiclist">
				<li class="header">
					<dl class="icon">
						<dt><div class="list-inner"><!-- IF forumrow.S_IS_CAT --><a href="{forumrow.U_VIEWFORUM}">{forumrow.FORUM_NAME}</a><!-- ELSE -->{L_FORUM}<!-- ENDIF --></div></dt>
						<dd class="topics">{L_TOPICS}</dd>
						<dd class="posts">{L_POSTS}</dd>
						<dd class="lastpost"><span>{L_LAST_POST}</span></dd>
					</dl>
				</li>
			</ul>
			<ul class="topiclist forums">
	<!-- EVENT forumlist_body_category_header_after -->		
	<!-- ENDIF -->
Thanx for all the work you guys have done for phpBB 3.1. I think it's a huge improvement and a joy to work with regarding extensions.

User avatar
VSE
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:18 am

Re: Feedback on 3.1.0-RC5

Post by VSE »

roufneck wrote:Hi guys, not sure where to post this. If these are bugs or not that's for the experts to decide.

In .htaccess I need to add this line for the webprofiler extension to work.

Code: Select all

RewriteBase /
This is an extension you are referring to, so this issue has to be discussed with extension's author.
roufneck wrote:In .htaccess I need to add this line so an extension can change the home page without messing with index.php. If index.php isn't called explicitly, it will call app.php and it tries to find a route for /.

Code: Select all

DirectoryIndex app.php
I don't see that as good change. It prevents having your board url be something like: http://www.myforum.com. because as you say, now you have to always use index.php. We already looked into trying to make extension routes available at the base of the url (myforum.com/extension) and we could not make it happen yet, because it requires at the very least a serious amount of core coding changes, and possibly some htaccess tweaks on top of that.
roufneck wrote:In .htaccess I've added this for some improved security. Some are not needed, but personally I'd like to keep it all in one place.

Code: Select all

# Deny access
RedirectMatch 404 ^/(common.php|config.php)
RedirectMatch 404 ^/(bin|cache|config|ext|includes|language|phpbb|store|vendor)/
The 404 redirect match for ext is debatable. I'm not sure if template resources are called within an extension. But for sure all other files shouldn't be accessible. Since I don't have those asset files yet, I just restrict access to extensions for now.

Another option is to rename the current .htaccess file to .htaccess.dist and let the user create and manage it's own file. I think this would be a better option anyway.
If you want to htaccess block access to those files, that is up to you. But phpBB is meant to be installed mostly in browser. We can't make the htaccess file a required file that users must edit, because the whole point for 3.1 is to eliminate editing, and we also can't assume people installing phpBB even know what an htaccess file is or how to edit one. Also, phpBB comes bundled as a 1-click install feature on many web hosting platforms, where editing the htaccess file would be prohibitive to that distribution model.
Has an irascible disposition.

User avatar
Meis2M Online
Registered User
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Feedback on 3.1.0-RC5

Post by Meis2M »

Hi

i sse this error in 3.1rc5

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/acp/acp_update.php on line 63: sprintf() [function.sprintf]: Too few arguments

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1836
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Feedback on 3.1.0-RC5

Post by DavidIQ »

Doing what? Updating?
Image

User avatar
Meis2M Online
Registered User
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Feedback on 3.1.0-RC5

Post by Meis2M »

no
when i go to "system" tab in acp i see this error in header. i did not nothing.

User avatar
nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Posts: 733
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:54 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Contact:

Re: Feedback on 3.1.0-RC5

Post by nickvergessen »

This is mostly an error with your language package
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

User avatar
Meis2M Online
Registered User
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Feedback on 3.1.0-RC5

Post by Meis2M »

thanks nick.

this was miss:
href="%1$s" title="%1$s" in language pack install.php

now it is fix.

roufneck
Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:34 am

Re: Feedback on 3.1.0-RC5

Post by roufneck »

VSE wrote:
roufneck wrote:In .htaccess I need to add this line so an extension can change the home page without messing with index.php. If index.php isn't called explicitly, it will call app.php and it tries to find a route for /.

Code: Select all

DirectoryIndex app.php
I don't see that as good change. It prevents having your board url be something like: http://www.myforum.com. because as you say, now you have to always use index.php. We already looked into trying to make extension routes available at the base of the url (myforum.com/extension) and we could not make it happen yet, because it requires at the very least a serious amount of core coding changes, and possibly some htaccess tweaks on top of that.
It would be a lot easier if pages like index.php and viewforum.php would be written as symfony modules. This way you can easily overwrite the default routes. But I think I read that is something for the future.

Anyway, thanx for your reply.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:40 am
Location: Paris

Re: Feedback on 3.1.0-RC5

Post by Nicofuma »

roufneck wrote: It would be a lot easier if pages like index.php and viewforum.php would be written as symfony modules. This way you can easily overwrite the default routes. But I think I read that is something for the future.

Anyway, thanx for your reply.
We will. But it requires a lot of work and it's not our highest priority, but if someone wants to contribute and send a PR for that he is welcome :)

About the web profiler extension, can you report your bug here with more details please?
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

mrgtb
Registered User
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Feedback on 3.1.0-RC5

Post by mrgtb »

Something I wanted to touch on about the ProSilver style. I was reading somebody mention on another forum tonight why it uses an 850px max-width style and have been thinking same thing myself.

How comes you do that, rather than using gutter left/right margin spacing (keeping forum fluid). So prosilver, no matter what size resolution is used by people would fit the screen having same margin space left and right showing background, so the forum more or less fills full screen. As right now doing it the way you do, having that max-width used, anyone using a high res screen is going to have a small forum in middle with load of background showing left and right. It doesn't really suit all screen resolution sizes - not I think like using margin spacing would left and right instead and keeping it a fluid style

Post Reply